Students should skip class Thursday

As children, we always want to make our parents proud, but for the first time since I started writing, I already know my parents will disapprove of what I am about to say.
See, both my parents are professors (both of psychology), and I’m going to ask the students of Mississippi State to do something neither my parental professors nor your current professors would approve of.
Skip class, all of you.
To the professors of our university: cancel class, all of you.
Next Thursday night, Mississippi State plays Auburn at Davis Wade stadium in a nationally televised game on the worldwide leader in sports — ESPN.
However, all classes are still in session. I’m not sure how we’re even going to get there if we actually go since all the parking will be blocked off after 11 a.m.. I guess in one of the most obese states in the nation it wouldn’t hurt for many of us to have to walk to class from our apartments, but there is no denying it is unreasonable.
Look, I know not everyone is a sports fan. I know the “primary” goal of our university is, supposedly, to educate students, and I agree it should be. I know research is one of the most important things to this institution.
But, let me tell you something: sports matter, and on Thursday, sports, via the all-powerful, global sports machine ESPN, will thrust Mississippi State University into the national spotlight, all because a bunch of 20-somethings are hitting each other really hard.
Our administration, professors, students and student-athletes all stand to benefit from Pernell McPhee trying to knock the bejesus out of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.
Ninth grader Suzanne lives in Nebraska and loves animals, but she’s never heard of MSU, let alone the fact it has one of the nation’s top veterinary colleges. Lucky for her, Daddy is a football fan and she repeatedly sees commercials telling her that her dreams can come true in this small town in Mississippi.
Matthew is in 7th grade, and he lives in Baton Rouge, where he figures he will eventually attend LSU. His parents have always known Matthew was smarter than the other kids, and the young prodigy was building Lego castles before the other kids his age were done breast feeding. Then, they see ads touting the worldwide renown of MSU’s College of Engineering. Upon further investigation, they decide the Bulldogs can help Matthew reach his potential, and he is certainly on board with a change of scenery after years of awkward high school life.
Mississippi State: embrace this opportunity, and beyond that, enjoy it. Revel in it. This is the ultimate combination of constructive exposure and world-class entertainment. Don’t be scared to change it up a bit.
The administration doesn’t want to step on the professors toes. Well, allow me to do it for them. For once, professors, there is something more important than your class. This is bigger than whatever is happening in your stuffy classroom.
Hey, I’m a good student with typically high attendance marks. I’m not some random slacker looking for an excuse to drink more beer, though that’s certainly an added bonus. I recognize what the entire university — the research side, the athletics side, the administrative side, the staff, the students and the alumni — stand to gain from just one football game. It’s Thursday night. We’re the only show in town and everyone across America is watching all night.
However, I realize that, despite the enormous influence The Reflector sports section certainly has, most professors will not cancel class.
My fellow students, what we lack is a union. I realize we have The Union, with it’s expensive fast food opportunities. I’m talking about a labor union. We have little opportunity for all of us to band together for a common goal and purpose. Football is just about the only chance we have.
I ask you to do this: go on a learning strike. Don’t go to class Thursday, or at the very least, don’t go after noon. Similar to a hunger strike, we refuse to learn, at least from books and professors, for a single day. Those men on the field — McPhee, Johnthan Banks, Chad Bumphis, Derek Sherrod and all the boys in maroon — are our brothers at this institution. They are students, just like us. They are our friends, our partners in learning. Take a day to appreciate the sacrifice they make and the work they put in to give us something worth rooting for.
Meet me in The Junction Thursday. I’ll be the well-rested one drinking a cold beverage in a Solo cup and eating a plate of Mississippi’s best barbeque, beans and bread.
Lastly, if we can cancel class multiple times in January and February because it might, just maybe, snow half an inch next Tuesday, we can cancel class for this.