Community service forgotten at times

I can’t count how many times I have turned on the television and seen a commercial about giving to those in need. Or even, turning the channel to the news and seeing the most recent disaster or AIDS outbreak that is plaguing a third world country. 
I doubt there is any human that could watch these things, hear the stories and not feel an ounce of obligation to help out. It comes from the inner compassion we have as people to help our fellow man in need.
How much is enough when giving to those in need? Do we give what is comfortable to us or give till it hurts?
It’s a simple fact that there are some people that will make more money than others. Some will own fancier cars and nicer houses.
While the majority of America is mostly middle class, we are not treading the line of poverty either. We are, after all, one of the richest countries in the world. Hasn’t it ever puzzled you that a person in our society can be considered “poor” but still have a cell phone and cable subscription for their flat-screened television?
Our needs are generally met rather quickly, not leaving us in a satisfied state. We are so focused on ourselves and immediate gratification.
As citizens of the United States, chances are we have been, or one day will be given, opportunities to make something of ourselves and acquire enough wealth to live happily.  That is, if we work enough.
That being said, it is somewhat of a moral code to share what we have earned with those who do not have the same fortune.
There are countless organizations out there dedicated to giving back to those in need. There is always an outlet to give if you so desire.
As college students, most of us are probably not rolling in the dough at the moment. Whether we are paying for school ourselves, our parents are helping or scholarships have been awarded to us, money seems to be tight for most around this age.
So how much are we expected to give when we are slightly in need ourselves? Many sociologists see things in different ways.
A utilitarian belief is that you should give above and beyond your means, putting others before yourself and helping them.
This way of thinking somewhat diminishes any type of luxuries you may acquire in your lifetime if you are to give your excess away. You are essentially giving what you have to a lot of people who have a little.
In other words, you should focus on other people’s happiness over your own.
Many would think this is a great way to look at things, but what’s left out are those closest to you.
If you give away all you have to help someone in another country, or even a large group of people, what happens to your family and loved ones who are left with little? Sure, more people are made happy, equaling the greater good served, but those you love are left suffering.
Another take on it would be a theory of deontology. This says that the motive behind your action is more important than the action itself.
So say you sponsor a child through an organization. You are giving only a portion of your money monthly, which is probably not making a huge dent in your wallet, and the donation is giving a child more than he or she had before. You are not sacrificing everything to fix everyone’s problems, but you are sacrificing within your means to at least help one.
An organization such as Compassion International allows for students and families to sponsor children who are living in poverty-stricken countries.
Not only do the sponsors provide a monthly cash donation to a specific child, but they also have the opportunity to build relationships with them through letters, presents and even personal visits. We all have a moral obligation to society to not only look after ourselves, but also those around us.
Even as broke college students, there is always a way to give back to your community, or even internationally, and change a life for the better. If we could put ourselves in the place of those in need, I am sure we would want someone to help us every now and then.
So next time you are about to buy that second soda of the day, save the money, and maybe one day you could give it to someone who really needs the help, or even just a drink, more than you do.
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at
[email protected].