Letter to the Editor

Editor’s note: This letter was written in response to an article that appeared in Friday’s issue of The Reflector, opposing the repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
Six. That’s the number of young gay men who have committed suicide over the past few weeks following numerous instances of being told they were odd, unwelcome and wrong for being gay.
One. That’s the number of gay men who wrote this article. I am gay, and other than an irrational distaste for broccoli, there is nothing wrong with me. (Let’s face it though; liking broccoli is a choice.)
Before I get into this, let’s all take off our political hats and our religious sunglasses. They have no place in this article. This is not about who is right, who is wrong or who is, according to Friday’s opinion piece, leading America in a “downward spiral.”
I don’t know when this happened, but at some point people were told that being gay was a terrible thing. They were told that being gay was “unnatural” and “gross.” This became people’s attitude.
Unfortunately, this attitude began to grow into a belief. People started to believe that gay people were “less than.” They believed that they were better off than gay people and began to believe that they had every right to say or do whatever they wanted to gay people to communicate their disdain.
Sadly, people began to act on this belief. “Faggot” got turned from a bundle of sticks or a British cigarette into a hate-filled word that (trust me) cuts to the core. People began to physically abuse others (again, trust me) based simply on the fact that they were gay.
Six young men are dead. They are no longer here, because their peers acted on their beliefs, which stemmed from their attitudes.
Suicide in young, gay adults is not something that’s just happening now. It’s been going on for some time.
In each of the six cases over the past few weeks, there were people in the background who acted and made each of these boys feel unwanted and looked down upon.
At some point, the isolation and the embarrassment were too much, and they felt that the only way out was to take their lives in their hands and, seemingly, do something about it.
My heart is broken for the families of these guys and for the countless others who followed a similar road. So you know what? It’s time for me to act.
To any young, scared, gay person who reads this:
You are loved.
Repeat this in your head as many times as it takes to stick.
You are loved, because I, and countless others who are both gay and straight, love you. It doesn’t matter that we don’t know you.
What matters is that there are people in this world who care that you exist.
We care that you wake up every morning and live. The words and actions that some people might use against you are hard to handle at times. They are hard to process, and they are designed to confuse you. They are meant to stifle the love that is out there.
When it happens, you will be hurt. You will be sad. You will want to run away from it all because it feels like the only people that are out there are the ones who want to hurt you and make you feel like less of a person.
But remember, I love you. And if you are from a religious background, don’t give up. God loves you.
Every single one of His creations is fearfully and wonderfully made. He loves you. He cares that you wake up every morning and live, and I don’t think there is anyone who could dispute that.
You have talents and ambitions just like the rest of the world, and the world is waiting. It is waiting to see who you are and what you can do.
Don’t deny the world of your light.
You shine too brightly to dim yourself because of someone’s opinion.
You are not a problem.
You are not contributing to a “downward spiral.”
You are strong.
You are brave.
And most of all, you are loved.