Fall Carnival offers seasonal fun

Carnivals and autumn weather seem to go hand in hand, and Mississippi State University’s campus is no exception.
Campus Activities Board has been busy planning the annual fall carnival. This Thursday, Campus Activities Board is hosting the carnival in The Junction from 6 to 8 p.m. In case of rain, the carnival will be located inside the Union Ballroom.
As with all Campus Activities Board events, the carnival has free admission. Libby Benson, CAB member, said for those interested in playing games, there will be a variety, but tickets are required. Each ticket costs 25 cents.
“The carnival will have all kinds of games — everything from a beanbag toss to musical chairs. There will also be face painting and a costume contest, which will be judged by CAB members,” she said.
Benson said the carnival is an opportunity for MSU students and also families in Starkville and surrounding communities to have a relaxing time together and enjoy fall festivities in a family-oriented and laid back atmosphere.
 ”The carnival is geared more towards children, so we always invite children from all of the local neighborhood schools, and any families in Starkville are welcome to come,” Benson said.
Benson said the carnival food is a big attraction for students at Mississippi State. “MSU students always love the food we serve,” Benson said.
Concession stands will be serving hotdogs, nachos, hot chocolate, coffee and a large variety of candy in honor of Halloween.
“There will be tons and tons of candy,” Benson said. “There’s definitely no shortage there.”
Thomas Hughes, sophomore civil engineering major, said the carnival is a great community event for MSU to support.
“I think the carnival will be a good way to give back to the Starkville community and give the kids around here something fun to do on campus. Starkville does so much for us, so anytime we can do something for Starkville, we should do it,” Hughes said.
Lauren Henson, freshman undeclared major, said she is looking forward to attending her first MSU carnival.
“Some of the kids in Starkville told me they look forward to this carnival every year. It really does make an impression on them. Since I’m a freshman, I haven’t been to any of the carnivals before, so I’m really looking forward to going to this one. Maybe one day some of the children who attend will even decide to make Mississippi State their university,” Henson said.