POETRY SLAM IN DAWGHOUSE TONIGHT

Tonight at 7:30 in the Dawghouse, the Campus Activities Board Coffee House Committee is hosting a poetry/rap event called “Mama Said, Knock You Out” that will showcase the spoken talents of Mississippi State University students.
Jalesa Parks, CAB member, said CAB expects more people to show up for this event than in the past.
“We have had about 50-75 people attend this event in the past, but we’re implementing a new section this year called rap battle, so hopefully even more people will come out to see that,” Parks said.
Parks said the name of the event was inspired by an LL Cool J song.
“I was raised to fight back with words, not fists. So, I thought it was a fitting title for a rap battle,” Parks said.
After the poetry portion of the event, the rap battle will begin. The rap battle round will consist of three rounds of freestyle rap. Rappers are allowed to be creative with their raps, but profanity and vulgarity are not allowed.
CAB encourages interested participants to turn in an application to CAB before the event; however, late entries are allowed.
Shane Turnage, a sophomore business major, said he was anticipating the poetry slam.
“I’m really looking forward to seeing the talents of MSU students at ‘Mama Said, Knock You Out.’ It sounds like it will be entertaining,” said Turnage. “It should be a fun night.”
The audience will act as the judges and select winners from the poetry competition and the rap battle. CAB is providing coffee and desserts free of charge.
“The purpose of the Campus Activities Board Coffee House Committee doing this event is to change the nature of fun, one cup of coffee at a time. We’re combining the delightful and sweet sensations of coffee along with entertainment,” Parks said.