October set aside for mental health awareness

Mississippi State University students can participate in mental health awareness events during National Depression Education and Awareness Month in October.
Beatrice Tatem, director of Outreach and Sexual Assault Services, said her department is currently organizing a mental health and wellness fair.
“The [purpose] of the wellness fair is to bring students, as well as faculty and staff, into an environment in which they can focus on their wellness,” she said.
LaWanda Swan, Outreach Coordinator and Sexual Assault advocate for OSAS, said the tentative date for the event is Oct. 14. It will be held in the Dawg House in the Colvard Student Union.
She has invited businesses and organizations from the Starkville area and the university to participate, including the Sanderson Center, who may provide fitness experts to promote physical wellness.
Past wellness fairs have offered aromatherapy, massage therapy and meditation, Swan said.
“You get a wide array of things in terms of overall wellness,” Swan said of the fair. “The goal of the program is to promote overall wellness of the mind, body and soul.”
Tatem said a nutritionist will be on hand at the event to provide healthy eating tips.
Swan said if enough local organizations participate then she can extend the services of the fair to faculty and staff.
Akida McKinley, senior psychology major and president of Active Minds, said her organization will have a booth set up outside the Dawg House during the event.
“Active Minds is very active on the campus,” Swan said. “They are getting a very good name for themselves when it comes to promoting mental health services.”
Also during the event, participants can be screened for depression.
Blair Shaw, senior marketing major, said depression is a terrible disease that takes over people’s lives.
“When you’re depressed, it’s hard enough to get your thoughts together, much less your day together,” she said. “You have to have a sound state of mind in order to keep yourself organized and get up and go the way you should.”
Minnye Mazique, freshman computer engineering major, said people who do not have good mental health tend to let their problems pile up.
“A person with good mental health will not break down immediately like most people do,” she said.
Shaw said she thinks it is important to recognize depression in other people and to be there for them.
“I think it’s important to recognize [depression] in yourself and others,” she said. “When someone is depressed, more than anything they need someone to help them with day to day activities.”
McKinley recommends looking at early warning signs in friends who may be depressed.
“I would look at warning signs, which may be mood swings or not acting their normal selves during the day,” she said. “If it continues, I will let them know about student counseling services, because it is 100 percent confidential. That will be a great way to talk about issues they may have.”
Tatem said she recommends approaching loved ones who may be depressed respectfully, carefully and sincerely.
“Don’t give up on them,” she said. “Just continue to be persistent in a respectful way.”
Tatem said having a family history makes a difference in someone developing depression.
Tatem said depression is also one of the main reasons students come in for counseling. In 80 percent of depression cases, the patient can be treated either with medicine or therapy or a combination of both.
She said some of the coping mechanisms for depression include journaling, music, exercise and talking things over with friends.
“I think it’s important to know what works for a person and what’s healthy,” she said. “Some people cope by excessive drinking or excessive eating or excessive sleeping. You want to be mindful that what … you do … is in fact helpful and healthy.”
Mazique said Active Minds works with students on campus to remove the stigma of seeking counseling.
“I think when it comes down to college students, they believe they could never be the person diagnosed with depression or mental health issues,” she said. “If they feel like they are going through a struggle they can’t deal with themselves, it’s always good to get that extra help.”
Joe Greenlee, senior biological sciences and chemistry major, said depression could be a huge hindrance to student success in college.
“You’re going to go through stages where you’re down on your luck and blue, but you have to find out how to function even when you’re going through those times,” he said.