May’s Corn Maze offers fall festivities

A new attraction has come to the Starkville area. On Oct. 1, May’s Corn Maze opened doors in Stewart, Miss. — only a 40-minute drive from campus.
With a barn-shaped corn maze occupying 10 acres, a café serving grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, hayrides and a 25-foot-tall tree house, May’s Corn Maze is every kid’s dream destination. However, May’s Corn Maze also appeals to an older demographic, such as MSU students.
Monica May, one of the four owners of May’s Corn Maze, said May’s Corn Maze has something for every age group.
“We love seeing people have fun. That’s why we opened the Maze, so families could have a family-oriented fun event. It’s fun for children, all the way up to grandparents and everybody in between.”
“We have school groups visit on field trips during the week, but on Thursday and Friday nights, we have flashlight night. We’ve had several groups from Mississippi State participate,” Brenda May, co-owner of May’s Corn Maze, said.
On flashlight night, participants go through the 10-acre maze in the dark with only flashlights as guides. Flashlight night starts every night at 6 p.m. and lasts until midnight.
In addition to flashlight night, another May’s Corn Maze attraction often captures college students’ attention. Near the corn maze, there is a large cotton trailer full of cotton, where young children — and the young at heart — are allowed to play in.
“I’ve watched college students here. They have as much fun playing in the cotton as the little kids,” Monica said.
After working up an appetite in the corn maze, customers can get a country meal at the Cornfield Café, which is located in a tractor shed with a view looking over the maze. For dessert, s’mores can be made at the bonfire located by Cornfield Café.
May’s Corn Maze prices suit a college student’s budget well. General admission is $8, and the group rate is $6 per person for groups of 20 or more.
Currently, May’s Corn Maze has a competition for those who participated in the corn maze. Within the 10-acre maze, there are six stations with animal paintings. Participants who get a stamp from all six stations are entered in a $300 drawing, to be held on Nov. 13. There will be three winners, each receiving $100.
“College students really get into the game in the maze. They will spend two hours just determined to find the characters. I think it brings the child out in them, yet it’s quite fun and exciting,” Monica said.
For information or directions to the maze call 262-7229.