Bulldog hoopsters open season Saturday at The Hump

Kate Swartz

When the 2010-2011 Mississippi State men’s basketball team steps on the court together for the first time in an exhibition game against Lindsey Wilson on Saturday, it may look like a cohesive group that gets along well.
However, before the finished product can be put on display in Humphrey Coliseum, the players have been trying their best to beat, well, themselves. According to many of the players, the battle for positions with this team’s increased depth has lead to a competitive atmosphere in team practices. Even last week’s Maroon and White scrimmage that was open to the public was played with an edge, according to sophomore guard Twany Beckham. 
“The scrimmage was personal,” Beckham said. “The White and Maroon, we took it personally. It’s gonna be good for us to get an exhibition game where we can come together and gel.”
With early morning practices and two-a-days behind them, it is time for the fun part of the year for the Bulldogs. After tomorrow’s exhibition game, the Bulldogs have less than a week until opening the season at home against Tennessee State next Friday.
Saturday’s exhibition will be the only opportunity for the team to play as one unit before the games start counting next week. For forward Elgin Bailey, who missed most of last season recovering from a severely dislocated ankle, that makes the most important aspect of Saturday’s exhibition the chance to see the team’s chemistry.
“I’m looking forward to play to see where our chemistry is together,” he said. “I’m not just worried about the exhibition game, I’m worried about our team.”
Bailey considers himself a vocal leader on a team faced with replacing its two leaders from last year, Jarvis Varnado and Barry Stewart. Seniors Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augustus and Riley Benock will be asked to fill the leadership void, as well.
One of the main reasons for the competitive practices is a large group of guards pushing for playing time in the Bulldog backcourt. With guards Shaun Smith and Beckham missing all of the 2009-2010 season due to injuries, depth was an issue for the team a year ago, which is evidenced by point guard Dee Bost’s average of 34.9 minutes played per game.
While Bost will not play until January due to a suspension for not withdrawing from the NBA draft before the early-entry deadline and being academically ineligible for the fall semester, depth in the backcourt is not expected to be an issue for this year’s squad.
The returns of Beckham and Smith will add to the backcourt depth, as well as Johnson (an all-SEC selection) and Benock. Add in newcomers Brian Bryant and Jalen Steele, and it becomes clear there will be heavy competition for playing time at the guard positions.
“We’re competitive at every position, and during practice we have to stay competitive,” Bost said. “First group or second group, we gotta make each other better. People may talk noise, but we just keep playing the whole time.”
Despite the competition, team chemistry has improved this year, according to Benock. With Bost out until January and Rendardo Sidney serving a nine-game suspension to start the season, how fast the team can adjust to pieces being put into place mid-season will play a key role in the success or failure of this team.
“Overall, from top to bottom, I think everyone is closer,” Benock said. “It was up and down last year and out in the open a lot of time … Everyone seems tighter now. You kinda go after each other, and that’s just competition, but once you get off the court we’re a tight knit group.”
Time will tell if the Bulldogs fix the chemistry issues that hurt them in the 09-10 season, but for now, there is one guy who could not be more excited about the competitive atmosphere at practice — the one and only Rick Stansbury.