Volleyball concludes home slate

The Bulldog volleyball team closed out home play this weekend with two tough matches against Georgia and Auburn. Georgia defeated State in four games on Friday night, while the Tigers also won in four games on senior day Sunday. The team closes out its season Wednesday with a 4 p.m. match at Alabama.
After dropping the first set Friday night, State came back to win the second and even the match. Georgia took the next two games including a dramatic fourth game comeback. State went up 11-2 in the fourth off freshman Iwa Belisario’s serve and looked to have the game under control. However, Georgia mounted a comeback and defeated State 29-27. Junior Caitlin Rance led all players with 19 kills, while senior Kayla Woodard led the way with 25 digs. Also, freshman Paris Perret notched her eighth double-double of the year with 40 assists and 13 digs. Rance said the girls need to learn to put teams away and not let them back in games.
“We were really up and down, which is what we need to work on,” Rance said. “We got complacent with where we were, and we didn’t think that they were going to come back.”
Sunday was not much brighter for the Bulldogs as a first set victory could not propel it to close out the Auburn Tigers. The girls fought hard to come back and defeat the Tigers, but their efforts fell short.
As the last home match of the season, it was senior day for the Bulldogs. State honored seniors Ashley Newsome and Kayla Woodard as well as junior Kellye Jordan, who is finishing her career as a Bulldog due to numerous injuries.
Newsome has been a source of offensive fire-power for the Bulldogs for four years. Her 6’1 frame also poses as a threat at the net to opposing hitters. With five blocks in Sunday’s match, Newsome needs just two more to break the school career blocks mark of 403. Hazelwood said that Newsome’s athletic ability has aided her in her successful career.
“She’s definitely been blessed with a lot of athletic ability, and it’s been really neat to coach her as someone that is that dynamic and has that much ability and potential,” Hazelwood said. “She’s one of those players that sets her mind to work hard and do certain things, and it’s fun to watch.”
However, Newsome credits her success to more than just athletic ability.
“Being athletic has a lot to do with it,” Newsome said. “I’ve worked hard, and my teammates have helped me a lot; I have them and my coaching staff to thank for it.”
After the volleyball season ends, look for Newsome at the Hump as she will be playing basketball for the Lady Bulldogs. She does get one day off for Thanksgiving, but then she goes to work on the basketball court Friday. 
Woodard, who was one of two SEC players named to the Academic All-District Team this season, came to State as a walk-on but quickly became an impact player. As a sophomore, she became the Bulldogs’ starting libero. Since then, she has continued to fill the stat sheets as she is currently ranked third on State’s all time career passing records. In addition to her great success on the court, Woodard said she has grown and learned a lot in her time on the volleyball team.
“The thing that I will probably carry away from this that has been the most special and that I’ll cherish the most is probably the friends; that’s something that’s the saddest thing to me because the girls have basically been my sisters for the past four years, and we’ve grown so close, so it’s hard knowing that it will never be the same again,” Woodard said. “But I’m not too far, so I can come back and visit. It just won’t be the same.”
Hazelwood continues to notice Woodard’s hard work every single day and is thankful for the example Woodard has been.
“Kayla is one of those kinds of players that can be the heart and soul of the team,” Hazelwood said. “Every day since I’ve been here, she’s come into the gym and worked as hard as humanly possible; even through injuries and different things, she’s never been a different person in the gym. She’s worked her heart out.”
Jordan has been a consistent hitter and passer for State this year. She is currently sixth on the team in kills and fourth in digs. Plagued by several injuries throughout her career, Jordan is finishing up her last season this year, but Hazelwood said she will still remain part of the Mississippi State volleyball program next year.
“Kellye is the definition of a fighter; she’s battled so many injuries in her career, and she just still fights and battles like you want your players to do,” Hazelwood said. “I’m grateful to have that example that she sets on a daily basis.”