Scholarship helps veterans, dependents

For the second year, Mississippi State University has been chosen to award Tillman Military Scholarships to students affiliated with any branch of the U.S. military.
Andrew Rendon, director of the Sonny Montgomery Center for America’s Veterans, said MSU is one of four universities that has partnered with the Tillman Foundation. Last year, five scholars were chosen, and four more joined them this year.

Each award amount varies, depending mainly on amount of financial need.
“Scholarships vary from $1,000 to $10,000. This past year, the total amount of scholarships awarded was $60,000,” Rendon said.
The Tillman Military Scholarship is available to students who are veterans, service members, dependents or survivors within any branch of the military. A survivor, in this context, is a dependent whose parent or spouse was killed-in-action overseas. This includes spouses and children under 30 years old.
These students can apply for a scholarship by filling out an online application at the Pat Tillman Foundation website starting in the spring semester around March 1.
Within the application, applicants are required to answer three essay questions, provide a resume and provide documentation of their military service.
Upon review, applicants must show a desire to continue their stated community service, maintain a certain GPA and write a report explaining their service each year.
Once the award is granted, financial need is not considered again.
Once available, a link to the scholarship application will be put on the websites for the G.V. “Sonny” Montgomery Center for America’s Veterans and the Mississippi State Admissions and Scholarships.
Lorene Cox, Veteran’s Benefits program coordinator, said she encourages all students eligible for this scholarship to apply.
“I would like to encourage veterans, active service members and dependents and/or survivors of a service member or veteran of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces to apply for the scholarship when it opens during the spring semester,” she said.Mike Bryant, Pat Tillman Scholar and student seeking his master’s degree in business administration, said this is one of the most well-rounded scholarships he has applied for.
“It was a heck of a scholarship to apply for,” he said. “It was a tough one.”
Bryant also said the application process was very thorough, the results came quick and the foundation kept in good contact with him.
Cox views Tillman Military Scholars as a prime example of what leadership should look like.
“We are extremely proud of our Tillman Military Scholars. They portray true leadership in their service to their country and service to their community,” she said.
Mike Bryant said he looks up to previous Tillman Military Scholars and hopes to achieve comparable things throughout his life.
“There is a copious amount of goodwill associated with being a Tillman Military Scholar, and I hope to live up to some of the past award recipients pertaining to some of the things they’ve done,” Bryant said.