‘Lost’ fans hope for resolution in final season

Editor’s Note: The following review contains spoilers from “Lost,” including the season six premiere episode; the article contains a tag where the spoilers begin.
    The numbers, the hatch, the Others, the Dharma Initiative, the smoke monster. Mysteries may be at the very core of ABC’s cultural phenomenon “Lost,” but the characters are the true driving force behind the success of the series.
    For years, I have followed “Lost” religiously and attempted to solve the puzzles presented to me each week. Tuesday night, the final season’s first episode premiered, signaling the beginning of the end.
    “Lost” follows the story of a group of survivors from the Oceanic Flight 815 crash who find themselves on a mysterious island. The show has been riddled with science-fiction and fantasy mythology since the pilot episode. Throughout the course of six years, viewers have been introduced to some of the smartest story-telling on television today and some of the best ensemble acting in found in any medium.
    Spoilers begin here: After last May’s season finale, viewers were left wondering not only if the hydrogen bomb detonated, but if the final season would conclude the series in a satisfying way. If the first episode of season six is an indicator, it seems as if the creators of “Lost” know how to end their story.
    The season premiere picked-up where the season five finale left the audience and then seemingly revealed Daniel Faraday’s (Jeremy Davies) plan had worked – Oceanic Flight 815 never crashed on the island.
    However, after the opening sequence the audience saw another reality, one where everything that happened from the first five seasons still existed – only the islanders who had been stuck in 1977 were somehow transported into the present.
    Though in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the producers promised the purpose behind showing both scenarios will be revealed in time, viewers are currently left to ponder the implications behind these two parallel worlds.
    The world following the characters as if the plane never crashed had changes in continuity from the pilot episode. Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick) was on the plane, Shannon (Maggie Grace) stayed in Australia and the island had sunk sometime in the past. In this world, it seems more than the castaways were affected by their decision to detonate the hydrogen bomb. Are some of the characters, like Ben (Michael Emerson), who were still on the island as children in 1977 when the bomb detonated even alive in this universe? Did the island sink in 1977 or sometime before or after? These questions are sure to be debated for the rest of the season by fans.
    Just as new questions were being raised, old ones were being answered, like the nature of the smoke monster. After six long years, fans are finally receiving solutions to the mysteries.
    However, the question of exactly who or what the Man in Black and Jacob is still open for interpretation. The survivors and the Others seem to be caught in between the two mysterious characters’ ancient struggle. The nature of the battle and who is good or evil is currently unknown – the answers to these mysteries are sure to impact the final arc of the season.
    Even though the episode was plot focused and established the tone of the season, it still provided time to further develop the characters in both universes.
    In the universe where time was not rebooted, Sawyer (Josh Holloway) tries to save a Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell) caught between life and death. When he fails, the grief in Holloway’s portrayal causes Juliet’s death to be one of the most touching in “Lost” history. Sayid (Naveen Andrews), on the verge of dying, expresses hopelessness for his situation and ponders where his soul will go when he is dead. Jack (Matthew Fox) finally realizes he cannot save everyone and finally allows someone else to take control.
    The parallel universe in which the plane lands allows new character relationships to be formed that were not possible on the island. A paralyzed Locke (Terry O’Quinn) manages to comfort Jack about his recently deceased father and in return Jack offers Locke a free spinal consult.
    “Lost” has once again proved that despite its intricate plots – in this season’s case it seems two overlapping (or not) threads will be followed – and large cast of characters, it is still able to hold viewer attention and the characters are still relatable.
    The theme of redemption is still ever present throughout the show as the characters grapple with their realities in both universes. Both time lines make it evident that characters are still struggling to find ways to redeem themselves. Perhaps in this alternate time line characters who have previously died, like Juliet, Daniel, Charlotte (Rebecca Mader), Libby (Cynthia Watros) and Michael (Harold Perrineau) can find happiness and resolution in this alternate timeline.
    The season premiere heralded in the final days of “Lost,” brings with it anticipation, elation and sadness for the day it will finally be over. The pieces of the puzzle are finally fitting together – the adventure is ending, bringing character resolutions and long-awaited answers.