Classic Valentine’s Day/Anti-Valentine’s Day: Movies

Editor’s Note: These movies were chosen for their embodiment of romance (or lack thereof) by The Reflector editors.

Anti-Valentine’s Day Movie: ‘You, Me, and Dupree’

By Hannah Rogers
    Entertainment Editor
    Romantic comedies of recent years have been painful to watch. Most are not worth renting on DVD, much less spending money at the theater for. “You, Me, and Dupree” is a classic example of this type of film.
    I luckily did not spend my money on this cringe-inducing, hour-and-a-half long torture device. However, the chunk of my life lost was just as bad. The romance is nonexistent, all hints of chemistry are gone and the characters are crazy without being funny.
    If you want to lose all sense of romance or sense of self, “You, Me, and Dupree” is your movie. It will ruin your Valentine’s Day.

Anti-Valentine’s Day Movie: ‘Inglorious Basterds’

By David Breland
    Copy Editor
    Bottom line, if you haven’t seen this, you should. If you have no one to spend Valentine’s Day with, then there’s no better excuse to watch this alone if you’re scared that your friends might make fun of you for watching something besides “Twilight.” If you’re a dude and alone on Valentine’s Day, then be a real dude. Go buy a bottle of Yukon Jack, “Inglorious Basterds” and sharpen a big hunting knife while watching this movie.
    No hokey love stories here – just gory violence and killin’ Nazis … although, you might need a tissue at the end of this masterpiece after seeing the final scene and the one person you thought would get away literally gets it in the face.

Classic Valentine’s Day Movie: ‘The Mummy’

By Hannah Rogers
    Entertainment Editor
    Most people think of “Gone with the Wind” or “Casablanca” as the sweeping, go-to romances for Valentine’s Day. However, I think “The Mummy” is the most romantic movie ever made. From the moment the movie opens, forbidden passion is the center of the story. Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) and Anck-su-Namun (Patricia Velasquez) are the twisted Romeo and Juliet of ancient Egypt. Viewers may not agree with the crazy killing of the pharaoh or the twentieth century American team, but Imhotep did everything for his lost love.
    The real romantic story is between Evie (Rachel Weisz) and Rick O’Connell (Brendan Fraser). From the moment they meet, the electrical energy between the two characters allows their chemistry to last the entire movie. I’m not a sap – usually – but the way Evie and Rick’s relationship grows throughout the movie makes me smile every time I watch it unfold.
    Humor and heart shape “The Mummy,” despite it being in the action/horror genre. The movie is a light-hearted comedy, an epic romance and an adventure on the scale of an Indiana Jones movie.
    Instead of watching a cliched, hokey romance (“The Notebook,” anyone?) for Valentine’s Day, invest your two hours in something actually enjoyable.

Classic Valentine’s Day Movie: ‘Pride and Prejudice’

By Julia Pendley
    Assistant News Editor
    Ever since my eyes first fell across the words penned by Jane Austen, the storyline of “Pride and Prejudice” has impacted my view on love and love stories. The 2005 film took this storyline and spread the message to the masses.
    The movie shows love does not fit into only one stereotype, but is found in the most unlikely places. Through various relationships and with poignant satire, it carries out the message that neither beauty nor money is the source of true happiness.
    While the movie does vary from the book, this is to be expected. However, it effectively keeps the most important thoughts and necessary scenes in the story line.
    The path of both Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) and Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) and Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods) and Jane’s (Rosamund Pike) relationships expose the happiness felt when true self is exposed and accepted. Of course not all is happy and seen through rose-colored glasses. They both experience hardships brought about by pride and prejudice.
    The other two relationships formed are between Mr. Wickham (Rupert Friend) and Lydia and Mr. Collins (Tom Hollander) and Charlotte (Claudie Blakely.) These two show the other side of “romance.” Lydia (Jena Malone) falls into the trap every modern romantic heroine suffers. She is blinded by the materialism of Mr. Wickham and gives into her impulses. Charlotte marries for convenience and falls for a different type of materialism.
    This movie has a relevance among today’s society just as much as the book did in Austen’s. It shows women happiness can be found, and it can be found without the stereotypes that follow relationships around. More importantly, it forewarns women from falling into these stereotypes because those stereotypes do not breed happiness.
    The final scene strokes up emotions which solidify the argument of this satirical story – love and happiness come from the most unexpected places and not from material comforts.

Classic Valentine’s Day Movie: ‘Top Gun’

By Bob Carskadon
    Sports Editor
    As date movies go, does it get any better than “Top Gun?” It has blood-pumping action, heart-wrenching tragedy and a euphoria-inducing love story.
    It starts with the sexual tension-turned-meant-to-be relationship between Maverick (Tom Cruise) and the aptly named Charlie (Kelly McGillis). What girl doesn’t still like Tom Cruise now, and for 1986, McGillis was a bonified hottie. Let’s also not forget Val Kilmer as the ultimate villain heart-throb – Iceman – who gives the ladies what they want in the famous volleyball scene.
    Then we move on to Maverick and Goose (Anthony Edwards), the best friend, troublemaking flight partners who are as lovable a pair as any duo I can recall. And let’s bring something to light here: Maverick and Goose were the original bromance, not JD and Turk on “Scrubs,” though they do an admirable job carrying on the tradition. When Goose dies, it brings far more tears to my eyes (one slow trickle down the right cheek) than “The Notebook” could ever dream of.
    If you’re looking for a movie to make everyone happy – man or woman, single or taken – “Top Gun” is the top choice.