MSU student dies while fishing

Max Miller, a sophomore Mississippi State University biological engineering major, drowned March 30 in a lake at Ridge Lakes Apartments.
    Michael Hunt, Oktibbeha County coroner, said Miller is believed to have had a seizure, resulting in Miller falling into the lake. Miller’s body was found April 1 after his parents reported him missing earlier in the week.
    Brett Miller, Max Miller’s stepmother, said he moved in with her and his father, Dr. Edmund Miller, at age 10 and has been lived with her ever since. He helped her with his two younger brothers.
    “He did something with Archie [Max Miller’s brother] every day, whether tie-dying or baseball,” she said.
    Brett Miller said Max Miller worked as a lifeguard over the summer and was well-loved by children.
    “He had a whistle and wasn’t afraid to use it,” she said. “Archie would call him the boss of the pool.”
    Brett Miller said Max Miller was very quiet and a person had to spend a lot of time really get to know him, but Max was very faithful and loyal.
    “He always did special things with me and his mom,” she said.
    Ned Miller, Max Miller’s older brother and senior biological engineering major, said he was a great brother and was very loyal. He said when he was 14 and Max Miller was 5, Ned Miller was illegally driving his dad’s truck. He panicked and quickly drove the truck home. The police quickly showed up with lights and sirens.
    “I remember I was terrified,” he said. “Max looked at me and looked at the police. He deduced something was going to happen to me. He ran up to the police and said, ‘You’re not taking my brother.'”
    Ned Miller said the story was a testament to his loyalty.
    Carly Berneggar, Max Miller’s girlfriend of three years, said she got to know him while working at the West Point Country Club as a lifeguard with him. She said he was always eager to learn.
    “He would so randomly, awkwardly and eloquently simply blurt out what he and I called a ‘fun fact,’ she said.
    Berneggar said he was patient, knowledgeable and very eager to help. He was Archie’s best friend and would answer any questions Archie had for him.
    She said she could clearly remember seeing him pull his little brother, Guy Miller, around the kitchen in his Huggies box, pretending it was a train and saying “Choo, choo.”
    “Max’s grin and Guy’s giggle are so clear from that day,” Berneggar said. “Max had that rough, tough outer shell, but inside he had a beautiful heart, a loving soul, the best of intentions and a brilliant mind.”
    Karen McLean-Copeland, Max Miller’s mother, said they watched a lot of movies together and one of their favorites is “The Outsiders.” An important part of it was the poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay.”
    She said he once brought her a gold-dipped rose. On it, he signed “To Mom from Max. Stay Gold.”
    “It was our sign-off afterwards, for years,” she said. “We put it at the end of e-mails, and birthday cards.”
    Ned Miller said he and his family were very impressed with how caring and accommodating MSU was with the loss.
    “I would like to extend a personal thank you to Dr. Bourgeois, the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering and Mississippi State University,” he said. “They were there, they showed up and cared so much for one student.”
    Ned Miller said they were given a certificate from MSU and MSU will plant a tree in honor of him.
    “I have always been a Mississippi State fan, but now my whole family is,” he said.