Daylong vow to prevent bullying

Many Mississippi State University students are taking a daylong vow of silence today to protest the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.
    Maria White, assistant dean and director for the Holmes Culture Diversity Center, said the Day of Silence is sponsored by the diversity center and Spectrum and has been held each year in April since 1996.
    “During the Day of Silence, students take some form of a vow of silence, often daylong, and hand out speaking cards to explain why they are not speaking,” she said.
    White said the MSU community is encouraged to participate in the Day of Silence to support their fellow students.
    “It is an opportunity to give voice to those who feel they have no voice,” she said. “It is important because once again, we are bring awareness to the importance of equal rights of all.”
    White said she feels it is important for MSU as a community to come together and support the people within the community.
    “As a university, we are saying we support all of our students, will not tolerate any form of harassment or mistreatment and we are a safe place,” she said. “It lets everyone know that it is an issue for everyone, not one group.”
    Thomas Schuff, Spectrum secretary, said Spectrum is a place for students to come and get support.
    “Spectrum is a gay/straight alliance,” he said. “It is a place for people to join together and show their support for the LGBT community.”
    Schuff said the Day of Silence is important to him because it will help bring everyone together.
    “It is a great way to show support for us,” Schuff said. “It’s not about being gay, it’s not about being straight, it’s not about being lesbian or transgendered &mdash its about being able to be yourself.”
    He said he has felt pressure his whole life to hide who he is because of the harassment and criticism he gets from people within the community.
    “This is important to me personally for people to be supportive,” he said. “It shows us that people are willing to be silent for a day to show their acceptance toward the LGBT community.”
    Chelsea Holland, Spectrum member and senior communication major, said she is participating in the Day of Silence to help bring awareness to the issues at hand.
    “I know the effects that bullying and harassment have on the LGBT community,” she said. “There are students on campus that are afraid to be themselves because of the fear of being harassed.”
    Holland said she thinks the Day of Silence will show the MSU community the importance of being accepting to the LGBT community.
    “I am hoping it will show that people on campus are dealing with this and it is an issue,” she said. “We have to work together &mdash no matter what your sexual orientation is.”
    She said the most important thing is to spread awareness that people are being bullied and harassed and that words can last a lifetime.
    “There is a large LGBT community out there and college should be a place where it is more accepting,” Holland said. “No one should be bullied or harassed because of who they are and who they chose to be.”