Mark May speaks on BCS, Bulldogs, ESPN

In college he was an All-American at the University of Pittsburgh. In his senior year he won the Outland Trophy, given to the top offensive lineman in the country. Then in 1981 he was selected in the first round of the NFL draft by the Washington Redskins, who went to three Super Bowls during his tenure on the line.
    On Thursday, College Football Hall of Famer Mark May will come to Mississippi State to speak to students and faculty.
    “Tales from the Gridiron: An Evening with Mark May” begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Taylor Auditorium of McCool Hall. The event is free to the public and the 300 seats are first come first served.
    A nationally recognized college football analyst for ESPN, May said he will talk about what he believes to be a football program headed in the right direction under Dan Mullen, and also the future of college football. In particular, May said he will discuss the importance of the BCS National Championship Game and bowl games being broadcast on ESPN.
    “I think it’s where it belongs at ESPN, and not just because I work here, but because you can put it in so many platforms compared to what FOX is able to do,” he said. “Because we have so many other channels, and we have so many other platforms with our dot-com and our radio and our webcast, which was ESPN360, and is now ESPN3. We have podcasts, and ESPN2, ESPNU and all the different places that we can put it on ESPNnews. It’ll only help it [BCS] get bigger and stronger down the road.”
    May said because of the strength of ESPN, a relationship between the network and the BCS is mutually beneficial.
    “The way that ESPN, once they sink their teeth into something, I think the future of college football definitely looks bright,” he said. “Last year was the all-time highest college football rating for bowl games. So definitely, look at the path of college football compared to just about anything else in this bad economy, we’re definitely on the right page and going in the right direction.”
    When May comes on Thursday, Mullen said he will talk to the football team, and May said he will be talking to students and faculty about the national perception of Mississippi State.
    May said the contrast between Mullen and the man he succeeded – Sylvester Croom – is stark and interesting.
    “It’s a football team last year that got better offensively.” He said. “They did have problems defensively, and under Sylvester Croom they were more of a defensive-minded football team, and not very much offensive-wise, and that’s one of the reasons they made the change.”
    May said, and many Bulldog fans agree, Mullen’s football team had more than it’s fair share of heartbreak last season.
    “I think, bottom line, when you look at their team, the way that they played against Florida: that was one of those games that people kind of think they got a raw deal in that game,” May said. “They had a tough game against LSU. You look at their schedule and the way they played, every loss that they had last year was to a team that went to a bowl game.”
    The losses were certainly disappointing for Mullen’s club, but May said they should give the program a reason for hope.
    “When you look at their schedule and the way they played in his first year as a head coach, I think the future only looks bright for Mississippi State,” May said. “I think nationally they’re a team that’s gotten a little bit of respect because I think they’ve gone through the transition of enough coaches. They’re basically on the right path even though they haven’t gotten to that winning aspect yet. They’ve got an opportunity this year to go 6-6, .500 and go to a bowl.”
    In 2005 the University of Pittsburgh retired May’s number, and, oddly enough, his time as a Panther only made him more familiar with MSU. His coach at Pitt was a man who is certainly well-known around Starkville – former Bulldog head coach Jackie Sherrill. The last time May was in Starkville was for Sherrill’s retirement party.
    May noted some of the successful players who Sherrill coached at Pitt, including hall-of-famers in both the college and professional ranks such as Dan Marino, Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson and Tony Dorsett.
    May said coaches today would be wise to give the coach formerly known as “The Kang” a call.
    “If there’s one thing you can say about him; the guy definitely knows talent in a way that I think if recruiters were smart, coaches would bring him in as a consultant,” he said. “I think he spent nine years as a head coach at Pitt. That’s quite a resume.”
    May, who lives in Arizona, said he has spent time around outgoing Athletic Director Greg Byrne and has known for years Byrne would be successful.
    “Fortunately Greg’s going to be there when I’m there, but unfortunately you guys lost him to U of A,” May said. “I think Greg’s done an outstanding job, and we all knew Greg was on the fast track a long time ago. I’ve known his dad. He’s [Greg] just a good quality person. I think he’s done a good job there. I think he’s elevated the program. I think the program is going in the right direction. I think he’s done a great job.”
    As for the future, May said he sees a bowl game for the Bulldogs next season.
    “As long as Dan Mullen keeps it going, it’s in the right direction,” he said. “I got a look at that schedule next year, and I’m just trying to figure out how come you guys are playing at LSU, at Houston, at Florida, at Alabama, at Ole Miss. Those are some tough teams on the road next year. I’m putting you guys at 6-6 for a bowl game next year.”