MSU joins relief efforts for Crossgates victims

After a tragic fire Tuesday at Crossgates apartments, the Mississippi State University community has joined together to provide relief for the victims.
    Becky Wilkes, director of the Oktibbeha County Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the Red Cross is available to offer immediate help for the victims.
    “We are working with victims right now that do not have places to stay,” she said. “Most people are staying with friends and family, but we did have to put three families in hotels.”
    Wilkes said the Red Cross provides victims with debit cards with an allotment of money and vouchers to Palmer Home.
    “Because we give people vouchers, we are only accepting monetary donations for the victims,” she said.
    Bill Kibler, vice president for Student Affairs, said there are 15 students and four faculty members that have been displaced by the fire.
    “We are helping to find housing for students who do not have a place to stay,” Kibler said. “We are also coordinating communication and trying to determine the needs of our students.”
    Ann Bailey, director of the Department of Housing and Residence Life at MSU, said the department has identified buildings with available space for students who need places to stay.
    “We have just a handful of students who are staying right now, but we have room for more students that need housing,” Bailey said. “Any students displaced by the fire that needs a place to stay can come by Herbert Hall and we will get it taken care of.”
    John Rush, MSU Foundation vice president for development and alumni, said the foundation is working to educate the community, alumni, faculty, staff and other students about the needs of the fire victims.
    “We have made a special place on our Web site where people can go to donate to the cause,” Rush said. “The donations will go to a fund in the Department of Student Affairs and help students get the help they need.”
    Kibler said the Student Counseling Center is working with fire victims as well.
    Thomas Bourgeois, Dean of Students, said the university has reached out to fire victims to see exactly what their needs are.
    “We are encouraging all of the students who have been affected by the fire to come by the Dean of Students office and touch base with us,” he said. “It is so personal, we have to deal with each person on a personal level and see what that individual needs.”
    Bourgeois said the Dean of Students office is available to help fire vitcims with any issues they may have – whether it be monetary, housing or psychological.
    Also, student groups have taken the initiative to help, Kibler said.
    “The students have really gotten involved in helping with the needs of students,” Kibler said. “I know there are Greek groups and honor societies that have already starting taking donations and collecting items for the victims.”
    The Oktibbeha County Chapter of the American Red Cross will be hosting a Pancake Breakfast fundraiser at Applebee’s in Starkville, April 15 from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. in support of displaced Crossgates residents.