Sidney suspended, MSU to appeal

After nearly one year of waiting, Mississippi State University freshman basketball player Renardo Sidney finally received a decision from the NCAA on his eligibility status.
    The NCAA academic and membership affairs staff has suspended Sidney for the remainder of this season as punishment for unethical conduct, and 30 percent of the 2010-11 season for accepting illegal benefits, which equates to nine games, not including preseason games. The NCAA is also requiring Sidney to repay $11,800 of impermissible benefits received during his recruitment.
    MSU announced in a news release Friday it will appeal the decision, but Sidney said he is just glad to finally have a decision made.
    “I am glad the process is over with,” he said. “I can go to sleep knowing I can play next year. I just want everybody to know I’m coming back next year. God does everything for a reason, and this is no different. I thank my mom, coaches, teammates, Mississippi State and all the fans. They’ve helped me get through all of this, and it will make next year very special.”
    The 6’10” forward is a Jackson, Miss., native but moved to California to play basketball at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles. In high school he was a McDonald’s All-American and considered one of the nation’s elite recruits. Sidney originally committed to Southern California, but Trojan head coach Tim Floyd revoked his scholarship offer while his program was under review for previous recruiting violations.
    Regarded as one of the top 10 players in the nation by Scout.com, Sidney signed on to be a Bulldog in April 2009, and his case has been under review since.
    He is required to sit out 30 percent of next season for accepting impermissible benefits, as the NCAA ruled Sidney and his family received illegal benefits due to his athletic ability and reputation. The benefits included a trip to Los Angeles in 2006 and visits to multiple states in 2008 and money received from a non-profit organization. His father’s employment with Reebok was also called into question, as the NCAA said Sidney received free athletic gear.
    The NCAA ruled Sidney ineligible for the entire 2009-10 season due to unethical conduct in his interviews during his eligibility investigation, saying he was uncooperative and did not provide completely accurate information.
    NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs Kevin Lennon said the decision is about more than just Sidney.
    “Our members have made it crystal clear that student-athletes who receive impermissible benefits, either directly or indirectly, and who lie to the NCAA must be held accountable,” he said. “This case is about more than a single student-athlete. One of our core responsibilities is to ensure a level playing field for all student-athletes and their teams. No team or individual should have an unfair advantage.”
    Despite the controversy, Athletic Director Greg Byrne said he thinks Sidney has earned the right to be a Bulldog.
    “From the beginning, [university president] Dr. Keenum gave us the charge to provide every resource available to help Renardo gain his eligibility, while maintaining the integrity of the university,” he said. “We felt from the beginning Renardo deserves the opportunity to be both a student and athlete at Mississippi State, and this is still our belief today.”
    Sidney’s mother Patricia Sidney said she is thankful to the university for its support and is glad to see progress in the long ordeal.
    “For both of us, it was a very emotional process,” she said. “I’m just glad it’s over. I don’t agree with everything, but at least we can move on.”
    One of the biggest questions raised as MSU waited on the decision was if Sidney would even come back to school next year if he was not allowed to play this season. Fans and media alike have speculated Sidney could declare for the NBA draft or sign a contract to play professionally in Europe if things did not work out in his favor. However, in his statement Friday, Sidney said he will return to MSU and is excited about next season.
    Bulldog head coach Rick Stansbury said he is happy for Sidney and is eager to find an end to this saga.
    “Sid is a great kid, and I’m glad we finally have a decision,” he said. “Now, we can move forward with the appeal process.”