Burton’s ‘Wonderland’ engrossing, imaginative

I hated the original story of “Alice in Wonderland” &mdash there was no driving force behind the plot, there was no character resolution for anyone but Alice and only the White Rabbit and Chesire Cat were interesting. But when I learned Tim Burton was making a sequel to “Alice,” I became hopeful that Wonderland would finally get a story worthy of its possibilities.
    Thirteen years after her first fall down the rabbit hole, a 19-year-old Alice (Mia Wasikowska) runs away from an unwanted proposal to follow a rabbit in a waist coat and eventually is led back to Underland (which she called Wonderland as a child).
    Underland has been taken over by the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter) who overthrew the White Queen (Anne Hathaway), her sister, and has kept her subjects loyal through fear of her dragon-like minion the Jabberwocky.
    The only one who can defeat the Jabberwocky and end the Red Queen’s rule is Alice. Led by the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), Alice journeys through Underland to recover an ancient sword used to defeat the Jabberwocky and join the White Queen.
    By giving “Alice in Wonderland” a plot with a conflict central to Underland, the movie gains the traction previous incarnations of Carroll’s classic did not have. The political tug-of-war allows each character to have its own arc, allowing the film to be engaging.
    Wasikowska’s portrayal of Alice allows the film to be relatable to its audience. Her gradual transformation from someone simply following the motions because it’s what is expected to a heroine who can make thoughtful choices for herself is compelling &mdash the film truly gains its strength from the believability of its protagonist.
    The White Queen becomes more than a fairy-tale cut-out; Hathaway’s subtle line delivery and facial expressions reveal the character has a tendency for darkness, even though she fights to be pure goodness. Similarly, Bonham Carter’s portrayal of Red Queen allows her to be sympathetic enough to be multi-faceted but tyrannical enough to be unconditionally hated.
    Johnny Depp plays the Mad Hatter as someone who is both strategically insightful and slowly going mad. Though the Hatter isn’t as original as Captain Jack Sparrow, Depp is still brilliant at shaping a character with new perspective.
    The voice acting done by Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry and Michael Sheen as Aboslem the blue caterpillar, the Chesire Cat and the White Rabbit respectively brings the anamorphic creatures to life. Fry as the Chesire Cat in particular steals the show every moment he is onscreen.
    Underland is a visually dynamic world, and is the perfect showcase for Burton’s creative talents. The world he creates reflects both the original Wonderland and Burton’s personal vision. The world is immersive and is both fantastical and ominous &mdash the tone of the scene is highlighted by the setting.
    Overall, Burton has created a new vision of Wonderland that will endear itself to audiences who both hated and loved the original story.
    “Alice in Wonderland” avoids being constrained by its predecessor’s history &mdash instead, it is able to add to the mythology of the beloved (by some) tale while still paying homage to its literary roots.
    (***1/2) out of (****)
    Click Here to read “Despite great talent and CGI, Alice dissappoints,” entertainment writer Will Malone’s review of “Alice In Wonderland.”