WEB UPDATE: Bulldog SEC tournament run ends in OT loss to Kentucky

Mississippi State came up one point and 0.1 second short of an SEC Tournament Championship on Sunday, losing to Kentucky 75-74 in the conference final.
    The loss may have also kept the Bulldogs out of the NCAA Tournament, but Wildcat coach John Calipari said he thinks it should not prevent MSU from dancing.
    “This eye test they talk about,” he said. “If Mississippi State is not in the NCAA Tournament, there is no such thing as an eye test.”
    Either way, Bulldog head coach Rick Stansbury said he could not be prouder of his team.
    “I’ve been in the locker room a lot of times,” he said. “Win some and lose some. I’ve never walked into a locker room when I’m more proud of a bunch of guys than I have been today. As a coach, and I would think as a fan, any person watching that game, how you could not be absolutely amazed at what these guys did against one of the most talented teams in the country?”
    Barry Stewart and Jarvis Varnado, MSU’s lone seniors, both made a big impact on the game. Stewart scored 11 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and, for most of the game, kept SEC Player of the Year John Wall in check.
    Varnado scored 18 points, had 9 boards and blocked 5 shots, while holding SEC Freshman of the Year DeMarcus Cousins to 10 points on 3-6 shooting.
    Stansbury said it was the effort of Varnado and Stewart that gave MSU a chance in overtime.
    “These two seniors sitting beside me, it’s amazing what they’ve been able to accomplish,” he said. “That’s why we had a chance; because of the will, the heart and the character of these guys beside me.”
    Stewart watched the end of second half from the sideline when Cousins made the tying shot with .1 seconds left, and he said it was hard for him to see.
    “I don’t know,” he said. “Time never ran out it seemed like. Longest 4.9 seconds of my life and made the basket before time went out.”
    Varnado was on the floor, and said he did not think the shot got off in time.
    “I saw Wall shoot it, and it hit the rim,” he said. “I thought the time was out, and he tipped it back in. So it went into overtime.”
    Stansbury knows his team is on the bubble, but said what he thinks about their Tournament resume does not matter.
    “My opinion is like it always is,” he said. “I have no opinion because my opinion doesn’t matter.What should matter is anyone who has witnessed what our team has done, witnessed that game right there. This wouldn’t be a conversation if it wasn’t for that other overtime loss we had to them.”
    The Bulldogs will find out their NCAA fate during the selection show at 5 p.m. The loss will likely have an effect on how the selection committee views MSU, but Stansbury said it does not change a thing for him.
    “I don’t hurt for myself,” he said. “I hurt for them, because the team did everything that as a coach you want them to do. Absolutely couldn’t be more proud . They [Kentucky] made the play at the end to win the basketball game. It has no bearing on our team out there and the way we feel about them.”