MSU students form first Jewish group on campus

Mississippi State University is welcoming a new organization to campus life that will celebrate the Jewish religion.
    Daniel Snyder, co-president of Jewish Life on Campus said he thinks the Jewish Life will benefit multiple students on campus.
    “Jewish Life on Campus offers fellowship, spiritual growth and a chance to meet other Jews,” Snyder said.
    Snyder, along with co-president Rachael Frost, started this program with the hopes of reaching out to other Jewish students.
    Snyder said the addition of Jewish Life will help showcase MSU’s diverse campus and give students of all religions a chance to find people who have the same beliefs as they do.
    Sarah Beth James, Miss MSU 2009, said the benefits of adding a Jewish group are endless.
    “This group will not only promote the recruitment of students from the Jewish community, but will also enhance the open and diverse image of Mississippi State,” she said.
    Frost said Jewish Life has a goal of enriching the lives of Jewish students as well as giving guidance to those students who are looking for people with similar beliefs.
    “Before forming this group, I knew of two other Jewish students at MSU. After our first meeting, we have over 20 students already interested in our organization,” Frost said.
    Snyder said students could expect the meetings to serve the business side of the organization.
    “The programs that we host and attend will serve the cultural and religious aspects,” he said.
    Senior psychology major Mary Katherine Koerber said she thinks the organization will not only benefit current students but also MSU by appealing to prospective students.
    “I think it will really open up the door for diversity by making MSU a place where there is something for everyone,” Koerber said.
    Frost said Jewish Life adds to the many diverse religions already establish at MSU and it will show the mix of students here.
    “I want other Jews at Mississippi State to know that, although a minority, we aren’t alone,” Frost said.
    Snyder said Jewish Life benefits all Jewish students, Orthodox and Reform, and brings a comfortable setting to all students wishing to find a safe haven.
    Looking into what Jewish Life on Campus hopes to become, Snyder gives insight into his goals.
    “We look forward to serving as a cultural and religious home away from home for all Jews on the MSU campus,” Snyder said.
    Frost said this group adds diversity to MSU that, along with the other religious groups, hopes to become a place on campus where students come and share their beliefs with each other.
    The next meeting for Jewish Life will be March 23 at 5 p.m. in 405 Griffis Hall. For more information contact Rachel Frost at [email protected] or Daniel Snyder at [email protected].