Margie’s Mixing Bowl curbs students’ sweet tooths

Noah Siano

Margie’s Mixing Bowl is now open for those wishing to indulge their sweet tooth and find comfort in delectable desserts.

Margie Mire, owner and baker of Margie’s Mixing Bowl in Meridian, opened another shop at 330 Highway 12 West. The shops feature 26 kinds of cupcakes, macarons, specialty cakes and cookies.

The original shop opened in 2014 in Meridian. When Mire, an MSU graduate wanted to expand, she knew Starkville was the place to go.

“I graduated in 1999 with a business degree,” Mire said. “I always wanted to come back to Starkville. I bleed maroon. There are no bakeries here. That was another reason we wanted to come here.” 

Anything sold in the bakery can be made gluten-free if customers call a day in advance. The shop is currently one of the few places in the state where folks can find macarons. When called on a Thursday, Margie’s Starkville location had completely sold out of macarons in 54 minutes.

“I am selling out of macarons. I just cannot keep them in stock,” Mire said. “Yesterday I made—I can’t even tell you how many I made—and before I could get out the door to bring them to Starkville, I was already sold out in Meridian.”

Margie’s Mixing Bowl’s website is updated daily with the offered macarons flavors of the day. Mire also keeps up with her Facebook and Instagram for the company. Macarons are gluten-free, but do contain almond flour.

For anyone with a nut allergy, Mire makes everything with nuts last, and sterilizes everything. Most items with nuts are done around Thursday or Friday

While Mire does not use any synthetic flavors, she refuses to use almond oil in her wedding cake and wedding cake flavored cupcakes—once again to avoid nut contaminants.

While the macarons are amazing, Margie’s Mixing Bowl’s claim to fame is in her stuffed cupcakes. All cupcakes can be made into full size cakes with a day’s notice. Margie sells cakes in two sizes, ranging from about $20-$40.  

Margie’s Mixing Bowl sells everything from classics to seasonal cupcakes, with all flavors listed on her website. Some cupcakes, like the chocolate chip cookie dough, which Mire said was her favorite, are not only iced with icing made from butter instead of shortening, but also filled with a delicious filling. In the case of the cookie dough, the icing has a cookie dough taste—without the grittiness of real cookie dough and with a dollop of cookie dough in the middle of the cupcake. None of the cupcakes felt too sweet or too heavy, which was also incredibly refreshing.

In addition to making everything in-shop, Mire is practically giving away her sweets. For half a dozen cupcakes, Margie’s gives you $2 back. For a dozen, Margie’s takes off $4 from the final purchase. 

Mire also has online giveaways about once a month. Margie’s Mixing Bowl is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Margie’s Starkville location has been open since early October, and Margie hopes for an official ribbon cutting ceremony with the Starkville Chamber soon. https://www.margiesmixingbowl.com