Weatherspoon named SEC Player of the Week

Sarah Dutton | The Reflector

Quinndary Weatherspoon was named SEC Player of the Week. He is fifth in the SEC with 17.7 ppg and leads MSU in 3-pointers. 

Quinndary Weatherspoon was named the SEC Player of the Week last week for his performances against Arkansas and Texas A&M.

This is his first weekly award this season after being named SEC Player of the Week twice last season as a freshman. 

Weatherspoon leads the Bulldogs in scoring this season with 17.7 points per game, and leads the Bulldogs in 3-pointers made. Against Arkansas, he led the team with 25 points and carried the Bulldogs to a win. In the game against Texas A&M, he scored 13 points, all in the second half to lead his team to a comeback win. 

The preseason ALL-SEC selection scored 20-plus points in six games this season, and all resulted in a win. 

Weatherspoon was pleased with his awards, but knows the mid-season awards do not mean anything in the long run.

“I’m more concerned with honors at the end of the year, but I’m grateful to be recognized,” Weatherspoon said. “The best thing is that we are winning. It’s been a complete team effort. Everyone has bought in to what we are doing.”

After winning three straight SEC games, the Bulldogs took on Kentucky at home on Tuesday night. Despite trailing from 18 points, the Bulldogs rallied but could not complete the comeback, and lost to the Wildcats 88-81. 

Weatherspoon, who only scored 2 points in the first half, scored 13 in the second and almost led the Bulldogs to the comeback. Weatherspoon fouled out late in the game.

Head coach Ben Howland said he is pleased with the way Weatherspoon has played this season but knows he needs to progress as the leader on this Bulldog squad.

“He is pretty stoic. He is not a huge rah-rah guy,”  Howland said. “He leads by example. We want him to become more of a verbal leader. That is really important for him being one of our two captains. He is a guy that everybody on our team respects so much for so many reasons, both as a player and a person.”

The Bulldogs are sitting at 12-5 overall and 3-2 in SEC play. They head to Tennessee to take on the Volunteers (9-9, 2-4) tomorrow at 6 p.m.