A.K. Ward, MSU soccer off to hot start

Noah Siano | The Reflector

Towards the end of the first half, number 20 goes for a powerful kick to get the ball to teammate in the box.

Mississippi State University women’s soccer team continued their momentum from Friday night’s win with a second win on Sunday. In brutal conditions, with a heat index of over 100-degrees Fahrenheit, the Bulldogs scored twice to get the win over the Missouri State University Bears.
MSU’s first goal came from an A. K. Ward shot in the 55th minute to put the Bulldogs up by one, but within five minutes, Missouri State answered with a goal of their own.
With the score tied one to one, and inside the final 10 minutes of play, the Bulldogs capitalized on a corner kick when Mallory Eubanks crossed the ball into the box and junior forward Brooke McKee headed the ball in for a second goal.
Head coach Tom Anagnost noted the physicality of the game, which was highlighted by the sheer number of fouls called.
Each team topped ten fouls, the Bears with 11 and the Bulldogs with 12. By comparison, in the game on Friday, both MSU and Stephen F. Austin State University had eight fouls each.
The physicality was also reflected in the five yellow cards given out on Sunday compared to the one on Friday.
“I thought it was a very physical game, it was rough you know, again we can always do a better job, but for what was put before us I think we did a decent job,” Anagnost said. “A physical game presents a different animal of challenges and I think it’s good for us to go through that, it’s a good growing moment, individually and collectively as a team. This game can only make us stronger.”
However, he still sees room for improvement.
“In order for us to get to the next level we have to be more opportunistic in front of the goal, we didn’t put chances away and I think if we do, that game could be very different,” Anagnost said.
It was a good weekend for the Bulldogs, but a great start to the college career of freshman forward Ward who not only scored the first goal of the game on Sunday, but also assisted MaKayla Waldner on the game winning goal on Friday.
Ward credits her success to her teammates.
“There are such amazing players around me I guess you expect something like that,” Ward said. “Being able to play MaKayla a ball like that and having somebody so good on the outside playing it perfectly to your feet and then of course they’re going to double team Mallory (Eubanks) so I have the ability to turn and hit the ball.”
The Bulldog’s next home game will be August 27 at 1 p.m. when they host Central Arkansas with free admission as always.
Contact Melissa Weitzel at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter.