Two Mississippi State students’ dorm room was featured in ‘Teen Vogue’

Farmer and Gratwick’s dorm was recently featured in ‘Teen Vogue.’

Many students go out of their way to make their dorm room a home away from home.
Two Mississippi State University students were recently featured in “Teen Vogue” for their savvy decorating skills and fabulous room decor.
Freshmen students Maggie Farmer from Dumas, Arkansas, and Lydia Gratwick from Atlanta, Georgia, were over the moon to see their carefully crafted dorm room featured in “Teen Vogue.”
“We were so excited,” Farmer said. “I really enjoyed putting our room together.”
Farmer and Gratwick had similar reasons for choosing to attend MSU.
“I was originally planning on going to a state school, but my cousin showed me around here, and I fell in love with the environment,” Gratwick said. “Everyone is so sweet and welcoming. I felt more comfortable here than anywhere else.”
While Farmer had once considered going to another school, she fell in love with the MSU campus and the people after visiting during a preview day.
“The people here are so genuine,” Farmer said. “It doesn’t matter where you came from because they’re going to be nice to you.”
The design of their dorm was inspired by their headboards and bedding from upscale dorm bedding company Room 422.
With a shared interior design vision, they both continued to collect all of the dorm items they needed.
While coordination for most new roomies can be an issue, Farmer and Gratwick were able to work together seamlessly and gather everything essential to their picture-perfect dorm room.
From a vintage dresser repurposed by Gratwick and her mom, to Farmer’s wall art and MSU table decorations, every corner of the room is the epitome of picturesque.
While it would have been easy to create a room like every other, Farmer and Gratwick wanted to go above and beyond.
Gratwick, coming all the way from Georgia, wanted to feel at home.
“My parents just wanted to do a lot for me since I was so far away,” Gratwick said. “They were open to making the room really feel homey and nice.”
Since moving in, neither Farmer nor Gratwick have found any flaws in their room.
“I honestly like this room better than my room at home,” Farmer said.
While they still have a whole year to enjoy their dorm room as it is now, both plan on reusing their current decorations for future rooms.
When trying to make a magazine-worthy dorm, Gratwick said she believes the key is to have a personal touch.
“My mom and I went to flea markets and went on Pinterest to find do it yourself stuff,” Gratwick said.
Gratwick and Farmer both pledged the Chi Omega sorority and plan to be active on campus during their time at MSU, whether through their sorority or other organizations like New Maroon Camp.
They truly are perfect examples of MSU students: individuals full of creativity and ready to go above expectations to do something amazing and worth recognition.
Contact Emma at [email protected]