Sunday Funday brings fun to the Cotton District every month

Emma Moffett

Sunday Funday bring vendors and live music to the Cotton District every month.

Instead of settling for a lazy Sunday afternoon in bed, students can wake up, head to the Cotton District and enjoy Sunday Funday once a month. 

This event located on the Rue du Grand Fromage is free and open to everyone willing to walk, drive or bike to get there. 

Sunday Funday for August took place on Sunday. 

However, next month’s date is right around the corner. September’s event is scheduled for the 17 from 12 to 6 p.m. 

These events are put on by the Greater Good Collective, whose goal is to provide the community with an outlet to share art, music and connect with one another. 

Live music, local vendors and delicious snacks are only a few of the reasons any Starkville resident should go to Sunday Funday. 

From Rosson’s Awesome Sauce, a booth selling fresh jams and jellies, to a booth dedicated to selling vintage vinyl’s, there is something for everyone who attends.  

“We wanted to start Sunday Funday because the Cotton District Arts Festival is wonderful, but it is only once a year and there are still artists around,” said Bonnie Brumley, a member of the Greater Good Collective. “We wanted to give everyone an outlet to come sell their work and give people in the community a chance to come together for a good time.”

Paisley Hamilton is the owner of Serendipity Hippie and has been involved with Sunday Funday since the beginning. 

“It has been a huge success,” Hamilton said. “Everyone is really enjoying the community and the outward expression offered here.” 

With new vendors, musicians and people at the event each month, Hamilton said there will always be something different and fun to see.

“As school kicks back up, it would be great to have a lot more people that are new in the town be involved with this as well,” Hamilton said. “It’s exciting to see where it will go.” 

Despite this being the first Sunday Funday since the start of classes, many Mississippi State University students have already fallen in love with all the event has to offer. 

Abby Barnes, a recent MSU graduate, and Makenna Ochoa, a current MSU student, decided to become vendors themselves and sold their original artwork at the event. Barnes said she was inspired after her first visit to Sunday Funday this summer, and she knew this event was the perfect fit for her. 

Barnes and Ochoa hope more students will see what they saw in Sunday Funday and take advantage of the opportunity. 

“It is a good way to brighten up a lazy Sunday and make the most of the day,” Ochoa said.