Cowbell Yell, a tradition for the old and new

Cowbell+reminder
Cowbell reminder

Mississippi State University will kick off their football season with its seventh annual Cowbell Yell on Thursday night at 8:30 p.m.
The annual tradition has grown into the kickoff event of the school year for MSU football. Admission to the event is free, and it is an opportunity for students, old and new, to learn about MSU’s traditions.
This year’s pep rally will feature former MSU football player Anthony “Boobie” Dixon. Dixon was an integral part of the MSU football team from 2006 to 2009 seasons. He holds the MSU records for rushing attempts in both career and a single season. Dixon also holds the career and single season rushing yards record, and the record for rushing touchdowns in a career.
Head coach Dan Mullen will also attend. He talked about the importance of student support for this new tradition.
“One of the things that makes Mississippi State such a special place is the environment and the energy our students bring every single game,” Mullen said. “They really set the tempo. When you get into Cowbell Yell, the students and the band in there, they set the tempo for the rest of the crowd. They’re a big part of us winning games.”
The first 500 people through the gates will receive free T-shirts. One thousand free custom 2017 Cowbell Yell decals will also be given courtesy of The Year of the Cowbell, a company based in Calhoun City.
The event is part of a joint sponsorship between the Student Association and the Department of Athletics. The program was started by former SA vice president and former SA president Rhett Hobart, who is now the Assistant Athletic Director and Director of Marketing and Branding.
He said starting Cowbell Yell was one of the points he ran for vice president on and talked about how happy he is to see it grow into what it is now.
“It has been great. It is really cool to be able to see how it started that first year and continue it each year and be able to maintain the strong partnership we have with the Student Association in putting on that event,” Hobart said. “We are starting to see more and more fans wanting to come to the event each year. It is a really cool experience.”
Gate F on the northwest corner of Davis-Wade Stadium will open at 7:30 p.m.
Dez Harris, senior linebacker, said he is excited for the event. 
“It’s exciting because all the freshman and all the fans get to come out and ring, and it is like a big pep rally,” Harris said. “We are looking forward to it.”
The Bulldogs, who are 2-0, will open up SEC play against LSU on Saturday at 6 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN.
Contact Taylor Rayburn at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter.