Fitzgerald, Bulldogs dominate in season opener

Noah Siano | The Reflector

The offense celebrates with Deddrick Thomas. He caught a 10-yard pass from QB Nick Fitzgerald for a touchdown before halftime.

No let downs this season as Mississippi State University football (1-0) opens their 2017 campaign with a 49-0 beatdown of Charleston Southern University (0-1).
After losing to the University of South Alabama to open last season, there were fears leading into another apparently easy opener. That worry dissipated as MSU drove down the field and scored a touchdown in 58 seconds.
To sum up the game in one word, MSU was dominant. They dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and completely outmatched their opponents.
The total yards start sums up MSU’s complete and total dominance. On offense MSU had 555 yards, compared to CSU, who was in the negatives for most of the first half, and had a total of 33 yards. CSU got two first downs and did not cross the 50-yard line.
This was fans first look at Todd Grantham’s 3-4 defense, and it is hard to imagine that most did not leave Davis Wade excited after the way it made its debut.
Facing an option offense, Grantham’s defense played lights out, forcing 10 three-and-outs.
“I thought we did a good job of shutting down the run, getting three and outs, and create turnovers,” Grantham said. “So I was really pleased with that aspect because whenever you play an option offense team, it can be really difficult.”
Nick Fitzgerald was the player of the game for MSU. He went 16-29 through the air for 239 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed seven times for 41 yards and one touchdown.
Aeris Williams led the team in rushing with 83 yards on 16 carries. He also had one touchdown.
Players and coaches alike raved about true freshman Kylin Hill at fall camp. Hill demonstrated why, rushing nine times for 62 yards with an average of 6.9 yards a carry.
Taking a 35-0 lead into halftime, MSU got much needed playing time for their backups. Included in those backups was true freshman quarterback Keytaon Thompson.
Thompson, from New Orleans, Louisiana, went 4-7 on the day through the air for 35 yards and scored his first career passing touchdown. He also flashed some serious speed on the ground, rushing six times for 36 yards.
Starting QB Fitzgerald complimented Thompson after the game.
“I’m so proud he got out there and scored a touchdown, it was awesome,” Fitzgerald said. “He has worked his butt off since he got here. Very football smart, very talented guy, you’ll see it on the field.”
Also on the field for the first time was true freshman Willie Gay Jr. Gay, from Starkville, had two tackles one for loss and talked about the experience of going out there for the first time.
“First play of SEC ball, it was blessing,” Gay Jr. said. “I was like is this really happening?”
One of the offensive keys coming into was finding options outside of Donald Gray to catch the football. MSU spread the ball around as 11 different players caught the football with none catching more than three passes. Six caught the ball multiple times with Farrod Green leading the team with two catches for 68 yards.
“Take what the defense gives you,” Fitzgerald said. “We rotate a lot of guys in, so a lot of guys had chances to make plays.”
Sophomore defensive lineman Jeffrey Simmons, stepping into a leadership role, looked like an all-American. He and the rest of the MSU defensive line dominated up front.
Simmons got the first sack of the season and was tied for second on the team in tackles today with five. He did all of this while constantly facing double and triple teams.
As a whole, MSU’s defense forced three fumbles and two safeties. The last time MSU scored two safeties was the Bulldogs 47-35 win over the University of Florida in 2000.
“We have a wristband that says fast, physical and aggressive,” Simmons said. “Being aggressive, they are backed up and that is something we look for (safeties).”
The Bulldogs will go on the road next Saturday against Louisiana Tech University. The game will start at 6:30 in Ruston, Louisiana. It will broadcast on CBS Sports Network. The Bulldogs will be home again Sept. 16 against LSU.