Fitzgerald, MSU, look for consistency and execution against LSU

Noah Siano | The Reflector

Nick Fitzgerald, a junior from Richmond Hill, Georgia, is 28-47 through the air this season. He has 515 total yards of offense this season. 

Last season, Nick Fitzgerald watched from the sidelines as backup Damien Williams was sacked on fourth down to end a late comeback against LSU. This year, Fitzgerald looks to lead Mississippi State University to a victory.
When MSU (2-0) played No. 12 LSU (2-0) last season, Fitzgerald’s helmet popped off during the fourth quarter, forcing him to leave the game.
Damian Williams entered the game and got on a roll, so head coach Dan Mullen left him in. Williams came close to completing a comeback, but the game ended 20-23 when LSU linebacker Arden Key sacked Williams on fourth down.
Fitzgerald said he missed a lot of opportunities during last season’s game.
“I remember I had a lot of missed throws when I was playing against them, and a lot of opportunities I had to convert on downs, I just overthrew them,” Fitzgerald said. “That’s one thing that’s going to be on my mind, making sure I settle down and making sure my feet are set to make confident throws.”
The pressure is on for Fitzgerald on offense, because LSU linebacker Key, who missed the first two games of the season for LSU, is returning to make his season debut on Saturday.
Mullen said Key will present a scheme problem for MSU’s offense.
“He’s probably one of the most dominant players in our league,” Mullen said. “It’s a miss-match. He has the speed and physicality to be a run stopper, but he’s extremely disruptive as a pass rusher and can change the game.”
Fitzgerald and the MSU offense will have their hand full, because LSU has given up just 10 points this season. They are fifth in the country in total defense this season, as well, having given up only 339 yards.
In games between two physical teams like MSU and LSU, it comes down to who wins the line of scrimmage.
With Key and the other talented players on LSU’s front seven, the guys up front, protecting Fitzgerald will face their toughest challenge of the season so far.
Co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach John Hevesy said LSU’s ability to put both speed and size on the field is MSU’s primary concern.
“Their interior guys are big, thick, strong, powerful guys, but they also have the speed with Arden Key, and (Corey Thompson) moving into defensive end sometimes,” Hevesy said. “You bring that speed in there, and that changes the game for them. They put some speed on the field, they put some girth on the field, and you have to be ready for both of them.”
Last week against Louisiana Tech University, Fitzgerald initially struggled to find his rhythm. Against LA Tech, Fitzgerald started off the game 1-6 through the air with one interception. He eventually settled into things and ended the game 12-18 through the air for 124 yards and three touchdowns.
However, against a defense of LSU’s caliber, he said knows he can not make the same early mistakes.
“I have to make sure I calm down and relax and see what their defense is,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve got to take whatever they give me and not try to force plays.”
Fitzgerald has plenty of weapons to help him get into the rhythm, because MSU has really been able to spread the ball this season.
Going into the season, Donald Gray was the No. 1 receiver but others were questionable. However, the other players have really stepped up to give Fitzgerald more options.
In the two games so far MSU had seven receivers or tight ends catch the ball multiple times, with four different players catching the ball at least four times.  
Receiver Deddrick Thomas is second on the team in receptions, behind Gray, with five. He said the receiving game has become a team effort.
“We are not waiting on someone else to make the play,” Thomas said. “Any given down, anybody can take it to the house and make a big play.”
Fitzgerald will lead the MSU offense into their first conference game on Saturday at ESPN primetime, with kickoff set for 6 p.m.
One can feel the excitement radiating off of players and coaches as they talk about taking on LSU.
“Once you get into conference play, things are going to ramp up,” Fitzgerald said. “If anyone needs any outside motivation other than playing an SEC team, they probably shouldn’t be playing.”