Joining clubs can make campus feel more like home

For many students, involvement with campus organizations is an important part of the college experience.

Regardless of students’ interest, the large variety of clubs on campus should provide any student with a perfect opportunity to become more involved.

For students who would like to give back to the community, there are many organizations on campus which work to improve the lives of others.

One such organization is the Red Cross Club, which works to donate blood or items and raise money for donations.

Students may see flyers for the Red Cross Club around campus. They also promote the club through social media. The club is open to anyone interested.

The Red Cross Club will host three more blood drives this year, on Nov. 6, Feb. 8 and April 12, all from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cheyenne Turner, the president of Red Cross Club, said that as the only collegiate level American Red Cross organization in the state, the group can provide students with opportunities many college students do not receive.

Turner said although managing time between the club and classes can be difficult at times, she is well supported within the organization.

“I have a fantastic executive board who helps take the load off my shoulders,” Turner said.

Another volunteer organization on campus, Student for a Sustainable Campus is an environmentalist organization that works to give back to the community through their own efforts as well as by working to increase awareness. 

The club began a food safety program to donate to the community and focuses on hosting different competitions to save energy and make campus more green.

The organization attempts to offer a solution for those with busy schedules by allowing students to choose when to be involved.

Every year, Student for a Sustainable Campus focuses on multiple projects throughout the school year to raise awareness and help to improve the environment.

The group meets weekly to work towards their goals.

Payton Billingsley, a member of Student for a Sustainable Campus, said one of the group’s major platforms is recycling on campus.

It also strives to benefit the environment in other ways. If students are interested in learning how to “go green,” this club is the perfect solution.

Intramural sports can be an outlet for athletic abilities.

While intramural sports are less flexible than some other organizations on campus, they can be an ideal opportunity for those who are looking for a fun way to fit exercise into their schedule.

Intramural Sports are easy to start playing. Those who are interested must only sign up to be on the teams, and the organizations generally communicate through emails and meetings.

Tom Zhang, the president of the Table Tennis Club, said whether students want to compete or simply to learn, they are welcome to join the group.

The club offers members both casual and competitive play.

“If time is tight between class and club, I would just lean more towards the casual style than the competitive style,” Zhang said.

The group practices consistently at the university gym every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Perspective new member of this club can get involved by simply walking into the practices or joining through different events..

Regardless of a student’s interests, the perfect organization for each student can be found on campus simply by looking around.