The Wesley Foundation provides coffee and community at open mic night

On Friday, the Wesley Foundation held its first coffee house and open mic night.
The Wesley Foundation is a student organization promoting Christian values and hosts a variety of events, ranging from group worship to Jimmy Fallon inspired game nights.
They also organize retreats, which members said allow students to grow in both their faith and their connections with other students.
The group’s next retreat will be from Sept. 29 through Oct. 1 in Long Beach.
Prior to Friday’s open mic night, John Williams, Wesley Foundation fellowship core leader, said events like the coffee house and open mic night are an important part of the group’s outreach.
“Events like this started to help students meet us and to see who we are and what we do and to show people that you can be involved in a faith-based group without having to feel like you have to have a faith,” Williams said.
Williams said events hosted by the Wesley Foundation are an alternative to the Friday night party scene and provides a fun and casual environment for those who desire a calmer setting.
Those who attended the open mic night were welcomed by a group of students trying to make everyone, especially those new to the organization, feel at home.
In addition to the friendly and smiling faces, a variety of sweets, coffee and hot chocolate welcomed those attending the event.
There was a multitude of board games and a microphone open to anyone brave enough to show their talent. Those who approached the microphone to sing, play a musical instrument or recite poetry were met with a warm and interactive audience, whom both applauded and sang along to familiar tunes.
During one performance, students Ryan Stallcup and Lesley Beck were joined by the audience in their rendition of “I Lava You” from the Pixar short film “Lava” which preceded “Inside Out” when the film was in theaters.
Almost everyone present knew the song and the room erupted in both song and laughter as everyone stumbled through the lyrics. The primary performers engaged in motions and gestures to illustrate the story of the love between two volcanoes.
Chloe Nelson, a student in attendance, said she has been involved with the Wesley Foundation since the beginning of her college career.
“It’s one of the first places I went to as a freshman, and I’ve stuck here, and I have just kept meeting new people every year,” Nelson said.
Another student, Aimee Garnier, had some advice for freshmen looking to become involved with the Wesley Foundation.
“Don’t be afraid,” Garnier said, “Even if you are a little nervous, come and you will find people who you can hold a good conversation with and who will become really good friends with you.”
Open mic nights take place on Fridays from 7 to 9 p.m. in the downstairs building of the Wesley Foundation.