MSU football finds redemption on the practice field

No. 24 Mississippi State University (3-1, 1-1) returns to the practice field focused and determined to prove their loss against UGA was not the start of a trend—instead, a momentary lapse in execution.
The game against No. 7 University of Georgia (4-0, 1-0) was a rude awaking for MSU, who appeared to be in a dazed stupor following their win against LSU. Head coach Dan Mullen said the Bulldogs’ uninspiring week of practice spilled over onto the field.
“I don’t think we had as good of week of practice as the previous week,” Mullen said. “We got out of position a lot and did not execute.”
After the game, junior defensive lineman Braxton Hoyett said he and fellow sophomore lineman Jeffery Simmons knew they needed to step up and correct the mentality of the team.
Hoyett said they held a players-only meeting on Monday after practice and talked about how the players need to be accountable for their performances on the field.
“We basically just said this is something we can’t do again,” Hoyett said. “We just got to step up and practice better. We did that today, so I feel like we are headed in the right direction.”
Players say there are many components that go into a successful practice leading up to a big SEC road game. The coaches need to keep the playing tempo high, and the scout teams must truly replicate the speed and playing style of the opponents.
In addition, many times the offense will run plays with minimal vocal communication and rely on hand signals in preparation for a loud and hostile stadium. 
Senior linebacker Dez Harris said he has already noticed a difference in practice.
“Today was a lot better,” Harris said. “We flew to the ball all day and had 11 hats flying to the ball every time we ran a snap.”
Bulldog fans are accustomed to MSU’s standout defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons making highlight plays, however, in the UGA game his name was eerily absent.
Simmons’ said his technique against UGA was fundamentally unsound, and the Georgia offensive line was able to significantly hinder his play-making abilities.
Simmons said he was practicing the day after the game in order to keep his promise to his teammates
“That was probably my worst game and I took it upon (myself),” Simmons said. “It won’t happen again. I’ve been working on it, so this week is going to be a new one.”
Against No. 13 Auburn the Bulldogs will face another talented and athletic SEC defense.
Junior quarterback Nick Fitzgerald said MSU needs to regain their balance on offense by running the ball and having more variety in their passing game.
“I don’t think we have to throw it deep by any means, but more down field shots will open up more of a run game,” Fitzgerald said.
The reinvigorated MSU defense will have yet another premier SEC running back to contend with in Kamryn Pettway.
Pettway looks ready to return to the field after suffering a left ankle injury, which kept him out of Auburn’s last game against the University of Missouri. The last time the Bulldogs faced Pettway he ran for 169 yards on 39 carries and three touchdowns.
The turnover battle is especially important in these SEC road games, where an interception or fumble could be the deciding factor late in the game.
Against UGA, Fitzgerald threw two interceptions, both leading to UGA scores. It should also be noted in last year’s game against Auburn, MSU turned the ball over three times, with two fumbles and an interception.
The MSU-Auburn game will take place at 5 p.m. on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama. ESPN will televise the game.
“Maybe we thought we were a little better than we were,” Fitzgerald said. “Maybe we were kind of lackadaisical at times and not mentally locked in, but that is all going to change this week at practice.”