SA Senate supports city legislation, instate advising program

On Tuesday night, the Mississippi State University Student Association Senate passed two resolutions and tabled another discussion for the next assembly.
The first resolution on the docket was Resolution 26, which shows student support for upcoming city legislation over the renewal of the 2 percent tax on prepared food and beverages. The 2 percent tax, 20 percent of which goes to MSU, was originally legislated to stay in place from 2004 until June 28, 2016.
On March 16, 2016, the Board of Aldermen renewed the food and beverage tax until June 28 of 2018. The percentage of the tax given to MSU helps fund the SA. They use the funds for events like Bulldog Bash and the Old Main Music Festival.
The funds also go toward different cultural and academic endeavors like the Lyceum Series and the Global Lecture Series. A Starkville Board of Aldermen vote on Oct. 31 will decide whether the tax continues.
The Senate also quickly passed a resolution encouraging MSU to instate training programs for academic advisors. The SA hopes the resolution will improve the quality of advising and diminish student frustration with advising sessions.
The senate floor heated up over legislation Bill 21. The proposed bill pertains to senator office hours attendance and the subsequent punishment.
Currently, the SA constitution states a senator must have one office hour each week, but the rule is not enforced by any other legislation. Bill 21 would impose expulsion from the Senate if a senator failed to attend three office hours without excuses during their term.
Debate arose over whether expulsion was too harsh a punishment for a small offense.
An amendment was proposed which would qualify three missed office hours as a missed senate meeting, of which a senator can only miss three per term, but it failed to pass.
After the failed vote, the motion was tabled. The bill will be seen next Tuesday, along with many of the committees’ new bills.

Dylan Bufkin
Dylan Bufkin, Former Editor-in-Chief
Dylan Bufkin served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2020 to 2021. He also served as the Opinion Editor from 2019 to 2020.