Stennis Montgomery Association hosts forum for House candidates

Last week Mississippi State University’s Stennis Montgomery Association hosted a forum for three candidates vying to represent District 38 in the House of Representatives.
District 38, which covers parts of Caly, Lowndes and Oktibbeha counties, is currently vacant after Tyrone Ellis (D) resigned from the state House. 
The Stennis Montgomery Association is a student-run organization which focuses on government and policy. One of the group’s goals is to enhance civic education.
Candidates Narissa Bradford, Cheikh Taylor and Lisa Wyn spoke about infrastructure, education and their individual platforms.
Bradford is a former fashion model and entrepreneur. In Italy, she launched a magazine and media company, which partnered with the United Nations, Italy’s Capital and a subsidiary of Exxon Mobil.
In regards to infrastructure, Bradford said in today’s media-centric environment everyone needs internet access.
“I think one of our urgent infrastructure needs in District 38 is to bridge the digital divide between the rural and the urban areas,” Bradford said. “We need internet in all the areas.”
Bradford said she believes telecommunication companies can help bridge the gap and bring internet to students everywhere.
“If the kids that live in these rural areas do not have the technology, it is hard for them to explore topics and ideas that interest them personally, and these kids are not able to dream,” Bradford said. “As we know, without dreams and vision, we perish.” 
To Bradford, internet access is not a luxury, but a basic need, like water and electricity.
Wyn, a former member of the Starkville Board of Aldermen, said the state does not have enough personnel to fix the state’s current infrastructure needs. She said she would come up with a comprehensive plan to solve this problem and hire a firm to help.
The plan, she said, would include seeking grants to fund the projects. Also, she said legislation should be passed mandating the taxation of online purchases.
Taylor, the executive director of the nonprofit Brickfire Project, said there are several areas of concern within the state’s infrastructure.
He said, according to the American Society of Civil Engineer’s 2017 report, 12.3 percent of Mississippi bridges are rated as failing and improvement to the drinking and wastewater infrastructure would cost $10.5 billion.
Taylor said delaying investments to the aging infrastructure will further increase the costs and risks.
“It’s an obstacle that this country, Mississippi and our families can no longer afford,” Taylor said.
Taylor said these problems are significant but solvable through leadership and preparation.
Next, Taylor spoke about education. He said one of his goals is supporting public education and making sure “public dollars” are being put into public schools.
He said one problem that arises with education, however, is finding highly qualified teachers to employ. He said the current policies in place push teachers away. Taylor said, if elected, he would push for resources to recruit and keep teachers.
Wyn said education is one of her top priorities. She said teachers should be paid fair amounts and more money should be put into the schools.
“It is sad that prisoners in the state of Mississippi receive more money than the people in our schools,” Wynn said.
Bradford agreed, not having enough funding for schools is counterproductive. 
“For years, our state leaders have chosen not to fully fund our schools and the lack of adequate funding almost certainly sets them up for failure,” Bradford said.
Bradford also said the state needs to give the schools more flexibility. She said what works in Starkville might not work in West Point.
Lastly, the candidates talked about their platforms.
Bradford said her focus is on fixing the problems with the criminal justice system and installing mandatory rehab and counseling.
Wyn said she wants to put education at the forefront. She also wants to reduce jail time on drug charges.
Taylor agreed, saying his concentration is also on education and social justice. Mixing the two topics, he said those in Mississippi prisons should learn skills that will help them in everyday life.
The special election for the position of Mississippi House of Representatives District 38 will take place on Nov. 7.