Campus and community connect at costume carnival

Mississippi State’s Student Association and Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life will host the annual Costume Carnival from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday in the Junction. The event will also include Trick-or-Treating on fraternity and sorority rows from 4 to 6 p.m.
Every year, MSU campus organizers try to find a way to blend the community of Starkville with its college student population.
To minimize separation of the community and the college, the Student Association and Greek organizations put on Costume Carnival as a family-friendly event to entertain the little ones and allow MSU students to get involved in Starkville. 
Erin O’Quinn a member of the Delta Gamma sorority and student at MSU, said she looks forward to the event and the experiences it offers. 
“I really like getting to see all the smiles on the kids’ faces and getting to see all their cute costumes,” O’Quinn said, “I like just getting to know Starkville a little bit better because I am from out of state.”
Sororities and other student organizations will run game booths allowing kids to win free prizes at the Carnival portion of the event. 
Jennifer Ware, the organizer of the Delta Gamma booth, said each booth will be run by students in costumes.
“Our booth will have three games: mummy bowling, pin the spider on the web and pumpkin ring toss,” Ware said.
Ware said booths are designed to accommodate varying ages groups. This event is designed to be an all-inclusive family experience.
“Our organization loves the chance to interact with the community of Starkville,” Ware said. “Oftentimes, we feel that we are only surrounded by people our age and this event, and those like it, is a unique opportunity to interact with families.”
In conjunction with the carnival, families can take their prizes from the booths and Trick-or-Treat on the Row. Trick-or-Treat on the Row provides a safe environment for children to get their candy.
“It is just another opportunity our chapter loves to have to dress up and interact with the kids,” Ware said. “It is also a fun way for members to get involved if they only have a small amount of time on that particular day.”
Candy will be distributed outside the entrances of all participating houses by active members of Greek life. 
Tri Delta President Juliette King said she is excited to work with other sororities for both events.
“Tri Delta is so excited to be able to work with Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Phi Epsilon to bring the MSU and Starkville families a night full of candy, games and fun,” King said. “We are honored to be able to attend a university that emphasizes the importance of participation and community involvement.”
Both events are free to attend.