Partnership connects food pantries to students in need

In an effort to help students in need of food, Mississippi State University’s Food Security Network is partnering with the Student Association’s Block by Block Meal Program.

The partnership connects MSU to food resources both on campus and in the Starkville community. The Food Security Network helps students, faculty and staff find local food pantries, while the SA’s program provides block meals specifically to students.

Food Security Network Coordinator Delilah Schmidt said the organization was created in 2013 with the intent of serving the people of MSU, Starkville and the surrounding communities.

“This network consists of several food pantries and community entities that are in close proximity to each other and able to serve the needs of those who require it,” Schmidt said. “The goal is to match individuals with the agency that can accommodate them.”

Schmidt said after talking with different food pantries, churches and other agencies, the network found out there are resources available, but not many people take advantage of them.

“Students and employees may need these services to provide a better quality of life for themselves and their families,” she said.

Schmidt said there are no minimum qualifications a student has to meet to receive assistance from the Food Security Network. She said students only need to contact the organization and fill out an online survey to be put in connection with a food pantry or casserole kitchen.

“Food assistance in this instance is a donation from a food bank, a hot meal from the casserole kitchen or a block of meals from the Block by Block program,” Schmidt said.

The SA holds a Block Meal drive each semester. Students can donate one swipe from their meal plans and Aramark will match the donation. The Food Security Network then distributes the meals to students who need them. This service is provided on a confidential basis. 

Volunteer at a local food pantry

Schmidt said there is also a need for volunteers at the local food pantries to donate their time or food.

Meggan Franks, assistant director for MSU’s Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement, said students can volunteer at places such as St. Joseph’s Food Pantry, Starkville Church of God Food Pantry, Pinelake Food Pantry, Sand Creek Food Pantry and Peter’s Rock Food Pantry, to name a few.

“Volunteering is also a great way to grow your resume and gain important skills, such as networking, leadership and teamwork,” Franks said. “All students should participate in service throughout the year to give back and do something meaningful that benefits our local community.”

To volunteer, students can visit mvc.msstate.edu and click on “events” or login to MSU OrgSync and search for food pantry volunteer opportunities.