Hurts, Fitzgerald, duel in Saturday’s game

The two top quarterbacks in the SEC will take the field and face-off against one another on Saturday, when No. 16 Mississippi State University (7-2, 3-2 SEC) squares off against No. 2 University of Alabama (9-0, 6-0 SEC), their play will ultimately decide the outcome of the top 25 matchup.
MSU is led by junior Nick Fitzgerald, of Richmond Hill, Georgia, while Alabama is led by sophomore Jalen Hurts, of Houston, Texas. Their arms are not what makes them dangerous, but their legs. Hurts is second on Alabama’s team with 616 rushing yards, and Fitzgerald leads MSU in rushing yards with 801.
The two are also the top two QBs in rushing yards in the SEC. However, they are different types of runners.
At 6’5″, Fitzgerald stands three inches taller than Hurts, and at 230 pounds, is 12 pounds heavier. This is evident in their styles. Fitzgerald is much more of a downhill runner who tries to pick up steam and run people over. MSU uses him on designed QB power plays and inside runs.
Hurts uses his agility and quickness on zone reads, and looks to run outside and make people miss. Both styles work and present different challenges to opposing defenses.
Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said Hurts reminds him of another QB at his previous job at the University of Louisville. He said Hurts has developed into a player similar to last year’s Heisman winner and Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.
“So they have done a really good job of developing him as a quarterback as far as where to throw the ball relative to the coverage, so he has become more of a complete player in that regard,” Grantham said. “So now you have a guy that is very similar to Lamar Jackson, who I was around, that not only can beat you with his feet, but can beat you with his arm.”
Hurts presents a lot of challenges for MSU’s defense, as he has the speed to create explosive plays if the opportunity presents itself. Grantham and other defensive players have reiterated they have to remain especially disciplined in their rush lanes this coming game. If they become too aggressive and end up down the field, Hurts has a whole lot to scramble through.
Grantham said they have to collapse the pocket from the outside-in, and the edge guys containing him while the inside guys generate push and make him uncomfortable.
Junior Braxton Hoyett, a defensive lineman from Pedham, Alabama, will be one of the players trying to generate push from the interior of the defensive line.
“As a defensive line, we have to collapse the pocket and force him to make throws on the run,” Hoyett said. “With a guy like him, we don’t want to be too out of control with our pass rush. If one guys come out of their gap, it can really hurt us.”
Stopping Hurts will be the goal of the defense, but head coach Dan Mullen wants to get his star QB going as well. Mullen said Fitzgerald’s success is not about just him, but those around him playing well to take pressure off Fitzgerald.
“There’s a lot of other people around that help that out. The offensive line, Aeris (Williams), all of those things allow him to do it,” Mullen said. “A lot of it is option plays, the defense trying to take other people away allows him to run the ball.”
MSU runs a lot of option plays. Most notable is their run-pass option, where there are three options on the play: Fitzgerald can run, the running back can run or Fitzgerald can throw. A key part of Fitzgerald’s ability to run are these other two options worrying the defense, forcing them to worry about things besides Fitzgerald’s legs.
When Williams is a threat out of the backfield, like he was against LSU, and Fitzgerald is hitting receivers, there are too many things to worry about for the defense. Those option plays having success will be key for MSU’s offense this Saturday.
“It comes down to preparation for the game,” Fitzgerald said. “You know in these certain looks, you might get a certain opportunity. If this guy goes this way or this happens, then I can pull the ball here. Truly, it kind of is in the moment. You’re reading a guy. If you think you can beat him around the edge, then you pull it and go; but if not, you hand it off.”
Fitzgerald and Hurts will duke it out in Davis Wade Stadium on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and ESPN will broadcast the game.
“We’re confident. There should never be a time when you line up across from someone and think you can’t beat them,” Fitzgerald said. “I have full confidence in our team that we can win. They’re an extremely good football team, tops in the country. They have been for a while, and they play really well. You have to not worry about the name on their chest and just go out there and play your game.”