Vaping controversy still hazy

vaping
vaping

The Board of Aldermen listened to the public last week about amending the current smoking ordinance to include an indoor smoking exemption benefiting vape shops.
The BOA first voted to include e-cigarettes in the definition of smoking products in the ordinance on Oct. 3. However, since smoking products are not allowed to be used inside many places, such as retail shops, it limits vape shops’ ability to let customers test products inside the store and learn how to use e-cigarettes.
The BOA hosted the first of two public hearings on the issue, and several citizens spoke at the podium.
First was Allison Tiffin, a Starkville resident who spoke on behalf of the American Cancer Society, and opposed the amendment. She said the city made great strides in choosing to include e-cigarettes in the definition of smoking products.
“With the passage of the original smoke-free ordinance, Starkville set the health and wellness bar high for all other Mississippi towns—that includes Tupelo, Oxford and even beyond the state,” Tiffin said. “As a Healthy Hometown winner, Starkville would not be leading by example if this exception is allowed. Everyone has the right to breath clean, smoke-free and aerosol-free air, regardless of where they work, and no one should have to choose between their health and their good job.”
More: New vaping amendment clouds 2008 smoking ban
Tiffin said although the stories of people using e-cigarettes to quit smoking combustible tobacco are touching, the Food and Drug Administration has not deemed them an approved form of therapy. She said for young people, vaping is on the rise.
“The real issue about e-cigarettes, is that more and more young people are starting to vape,” Tiffin said. “According to the 2016 Surgeon General’s report, e-cigarettes are now the most commonly used tobacco product among young people.”
She said 3 percent of high school students in Mississippi vape.
“We are a college town, and the obligation to protect the health and well-being of our community far outweighs the need to cater to a few,” Tiffin said.
Yolanda Pruitt, director of the Mississippi Tobacco Free Coalition of Oktibbeha, Clay and Lowndes Counties, said the original smoke-free ordinance was put in place to protect non-smokers.
Josef Enfinger, owner of 1810 Vapors on Stark Road, said he has done business in Starkville for more than a year. He said his business has grown in the short time and does not want the growth stunted.
“I need this exemption to continue growing, and to continue serving my customers to the best of my ability,” Enfinger said. “Currently, I am able to allow the testing of e-liquids and devices that are causing trouble. I demonstrate to new customers how to properly use these devices and help them if they are having issues learning to vape.”
Enfinger suggested the BOA should “do some research” to see how beneficial vaping can be.
Mike Jeffcoat, the vice president of Mississippi Vapid Advocacy Association and co-owner of Magnolia Vapes, said he is also in favor of amending the ordinance. He owns three shops throughout Mississippi and said he is considering opening one in Starkville.
The next public hearing is during the BOA meeting at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 21 in the courtroom at 110 West Main Street.