Men’s basketball scores big and beats Florida A&M

Mississippi State University men’s basketball (2-0) improved to 2-0 after defeating Florida A&M (0-4) 79-48. Dominant defense and a balanced offensive attack were the key components to the Bulldogs’ victory.
MSU held FAMU to 28 percent shooting from the field, and used their superior size and length to stifle the Rattlers all game. The Bulldogs put on a shot-blocking clinic with 13 total blocks as a team, led by Schnider Herard who had six of the 13.
On offense, five players for MSU scored in double figures, including a four-way tie for the game high of 12 points, split between Abdul Ado, Nick Weatherspoon, Lamar Peters and Quindarry Weatherspoon.
Head coach Ben Howland was excited by the way his team played tonight.
“Tonight, we had good balance,” Howland said. “Five guys in double figures, that’s my favorite kind of team.”
The Bulldogs’ offense got off to a rocky start in the first half, only managing 28 points on 38 percent shooting from the field and 23 percent shooting from deep. However, MSU turned things around quickly in the second half getting out to a 14-4 run and forcing FAMU to take a timeout. They finished the second half with 51 points on 67 percent shooting from the field.
Sophomore guard Peters from New Orleans struggled in the first half going 0-5, but credited his success in the second half to staying aggressive.
“I just wanted to see one go in and when I finally did it felt good,” Peters said. “My teammates just told me to stay aggressive.”
Redshirt freshman and forward Ado, from Lagos, Nigeria, made his collegiate debut, and was very impressive on both ends. He finished with 12 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks, and was the Bulldogs’ most valuable player in the game.
After the game, Ado was just happy to finally get back on the court.
“It felt great,” Ado said. “It felt like this day wouldn’t come, but it finally did.”
MSU men’s basketball will be back in action Monday at 7 p.m. at the Hump, to take on Green Bay Phoenix.