Local politicians aim to reach younger demographic

Bulldogs+vote
Bulldogs vote

Political campaign signs are visible on every main street and corner, all vying for Starkville residents’ attention as the special elections draw near.
Although Mississippi State University students were likely aware of last year’s elections at both the local and national level, many forget off-year elections. Though these elections do not garner the same amount of coverage, the importance of the election is not nullified.
Starkville residents who make their way to the ballot box on Nov. 7 will face several decisions which will impact the area.
Elections will take place for the local Mississippi House of Representatives’ seat, the Oktibbeha County district 1 constable, Oktibbeha County chancery clerk and the Oktibbeha County circuit clerk.
There will also be a referendum on the ballot to decide whether Oktibbeha County should sell OCH Regional Medical Center or not.
A key element of off-year campaigning is not only convincing people who are voting to vote the way a campaign would prefer, but to also convince voters it is worth voting in the election.
Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill said every vote is important, especially in local elections. She has experienced how important a small number of votes can be, as she was elected Mayor by six votes earlier this year.
“When you win any election by six votes, every vote counts in a way you don’t always appreciate with a national election,” Spruill said.
Jason Walker, the alderman representing Starkville’s Ward 4, which includes the Cotton District and several apartment complexes where many MSU students live, said students can play a big part in local elections.
Walker said because Starkville’s local elections normally take place in May and June, students who prefer to vote in their hometowns every November can still have an impact in Starkville.
“It is pretty easy to move your registration back and forth,” Walker said.
Walker said changing their registration while in Starkville will help familiarize students with the process many will go through at some point in their lives when moving. In addition, many MSU and Starkville organizations dedicate time to help students through the process of changing their registration.
Sandra Sistrunk, the alderman representing Ward 2 in Starkville, said she believes the college democrats and other groups’ registration efforts helped her be elected.
Sistrunk said once students are registered in Starkville, they are not entirely different than any other voters.
“Every voter is very similar, and also very unique,” Sistrunk said.
Spruill said social media has become very important in recent years, especially when trying to appeal to younger voters, but ultimately politicians must have a message to resonate with the voters.
“We had a message that appealed to them and got some of them involved in the campaign,” Spruill said.
Walker said having a presence at student events when there is not an election going on helps lay a secure foundation, and lets potential voters put a name to a face, which is crucial in an election.
Sistrunk, on the other hand, said the key to victory is still traditional campaigning methods.
“Good old fashion door to door campaigning still matters,” Sistrunk said.
By voting in local elections, students can influence Starkville going forward.
“I hope that students become involved in local politics and make it the kind of place they would like to be,” Sistrunk said.
Voting polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. on Nov. 7.