The United Way supports the community through United We Feed

Since 2013, the United Way of North Central Mississippi has held their annual United We Feed community food drive to restock supplies at local food pantries for the holidays.
Since Nov. 1, they have been hosting the 2017 United We Feed food drive.
This year, there are 22 locations across the four-county area accepting donations. These donations will go to help 15 food pantries, three school programs, the Salvation Army and Casserole Kitchen.
Starkville locations include Walmart, Kroger, Vowell’s Marketplace and the Starkville Community Church. Donations of nonperishable food items will be taken until Nov. 26.
The Starkville Community Church will hold the food until it can be sorted through and sent to local food pantries.
The Oktibbeha County Co-op will also collect food for animals in the Oktibbeha County Humane Society.
Candy Crecink, the executive director of United Way of North Central Mississippi, said the group purpose is to be “community builders.”
“We’re aware of the issues that need to be continually addressed, so we can help to continually serve the community,” Crecink said. “We’re not a charity. We’re neighbors helping neighbors. We try to bring neighbors together to be a support system to each other.”
Paul Luckett, a member on the board of directors at United Way, said United Way’s goal is to serve the community and address the concerns of the community.
“The United Way of North Central Mississippi champions initiatives that bring people together for the purpose of building a community better for everyone,” Luckett said.
The United Way of North Central Mississippi serves four counties: Choctaw, Oktibbeha, Webster and Winston Counties. The group runs programs addressing issues related to education, health and poverty.
To address these issues, United Way partners with a variety of organizations including the Red Cross, Boy and Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Club, CONTACT Helpline, 4-H Club and Habitat for Humanity.
Angela Baker, who has been involved with United We Feed in the past, said she hopes everyone will donate what they can. Baker said they accumulated eight tons of canned goods last year and are hoping to collect 10 tons this year.
“Giving back to the community by doing this is a wonderful project for United Way,” Baker said “Please come out and support it. If you see a red bucket with our poster on it, please donate.”
Tyson Lee, the development coordinator of the MSU Bulldog Club, said he is thankful for the work United Way does in the community.
“I have personally seen the impact their work has made,” Lee said.
Crecink said she is proud of the work the organization does in the community.
“It’s really a wonderful organization that’s here to serve our neighbors,” Crecink said.
Acceptable food donations include:
Dry beans, pasta and rice; jellies and peanut butter not in glass jars; packaged dinners and macaroni and cheese; canned fruits and vegetables; canned meats and fish; canned soups, dry soup mixes and chili; tea bags and coffee.