Robert Ballard: conquering uncharted territory

Robert Ballard, professor of oceanography, discovered the sunken RMS Titanic in 1985. 
Kip Evans | Courtesy Photo

On the night of April 12, 1912, the Titanic set sail on its first and only voyage. It was deemed “unsinkable.” 
It was thought nothing could stop the ship, until it met an iceberg. After hitting the iceberg, the mighty ship sank into the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, taking 1,500 of its 2,200 passengers with it. The Titanic was seemingly lost forever- for 73 years, that is. 
The wreck was discovered by one man: Dr. Robert Ballard who is speaking at Mississippi State University tonight at 7 p.m. in Bettersworth Auditorium in Lee Hall.
Ballard is a renowned oceanographer and retired United States Navy officer. He discovered the remains of the Titanic in 1985, gaining attention from around the world. In summer 1985, Ballard was aboard the French research ship Le Suroît, which was using the side scan sonar SAR to search for the Titanic’s wreck. It was a secret expedition. 
 Ballard’s life dream was to find the most famous shipwreck in the world, but if not for the Cold War and two missing submarines, the Titanic might never have been found. 
In the early-morning hours of Sept. 1, the image of a boiler in the sand 12,000 feet beneath the surface signaled the discovery of the Titanic. Dr. Ballard had done it. 
Jay Curtis, junior marketing major and SA cabinet member, said Ballard will speak about exploring the last uncharted territory on Earth: the ocean.
Curtis said he expects Ballard will discuss what he personally has done, what is currently being done, and what could be done by people just like us in the near future. 
“I’m excited to sit down like everyone else and really take in the moment,” Curtis said. “Opportunities to hear from speakers like Dr. Ballard are one of the great things about going to Mississippi State.”
Caroline Brantley, a junior communication major and SA cabinet member, said the ability to hear Ballard speak is very rare. 
“Learning about the discovery of this famous ship and all of its history is something that most people will never get the opportunity to experience in their entire life, especially in college for free,” Brantley said.
Brantley said she believes Bettersworth Auditorium will fill with students and faculty as well as people from the Starkville community. She said she is looking forward to what Ballard has to say.
“I am extremely interested in learning more about Dr. Ballard’s story and the work and dedication he put into uncovering the remains of the RMS Titanic,” Brantley said. “I am also very interested in hearing about his strategy and the methodical work he had to put in to prove most wrong and discover this famous ship.”
Brantley said Ballard will be speaking on his work as an oceanographer and the progress he made conquering the “last frontier” as well as  his discovery of the Titanic.
“Through his discussion of how he defeated all odds and discovered this well-known ship, he will convey a message about hard work and perseverance towards something you are passionate about,” Brantley said.
Vanessa Velasquez, senior marketing major and SA cabinet member, said Ballard’s message may be environmental and political. She said she encourages people to go to the event. 
“The Titanic is such a significant event that everyone knows about,” she said. “It’ll be quite interesting to hear the story from the man who found it and who’s made such a global impact.”
The event will be at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in Bettersworth Auditorium in Lee Hall. Students can get free tickets in the Colvard Student Union.