Nightmare looks to frighten opponents

Ultimate frisbee is an exhilarating game bringing passion and excitement to both those who play and observe the sport.

It has become a well-known game throughout college campuses, and the Mississippi State women’s team has a large percentage of similar excitement for their upcoming season. 

The women’s ultimate frisbee team is both young and talented, which makes for a perfect recipe to what looks to become a great season.

Co-captain Grace Robinson said the youth on this team could very much impact the squad’s ability to succeed. 

“Last year we had several girls graduate, so we had to work a lot on recruiting this summer and fall, and we know have 11 new girls that joined the team this year,” Robinson said. 

That is a large amount of new players, considering there can only be seven players on the field for each team at a time. Robinson also said this is nearly half their team. However, she remains extremely upbeat about the situation.

“They’re all very positive and willing to learn more about the game and get better, so I think they’ll do an awesome job,” Robinson said.  

Since their youth does not seem to be a large obstacle in the path to success, expectations for co-captain Kennedy Moehrs are high for her team.

“As always, my goal is to make it to regionals, but with that, I would love to win a tournament and get our new girls some great experience playing the game,” Moehrs said.

The women’s team came close on multiple occasions last year to winning a tournament; however, they fell just shy of holding up a trophy. 

Moehrs said while she wants the team to have fun, everyone needs to come prepared to practice hard. 

“I think we need to keep coming to practice ready to work with a professional mentality,” Moehrs said. “That being said, we need to continue to communicate and work well together on and off the field.”

Although communication is important, it is not the entirety of the game. Teams must have skill and ability in order to beat other opponents and win tournaments. Senior Emily Price said the strongest part of the team is their diversity and that it will be a huge component to winning games this year.

“We have tall girls, short girls, fast girls, girls that can catch, girls that can cut, and just read the field,” Price said.

Therefore, the teams amount of skill across the board seems to be promising heading into the season, along with the important factor of communication. 

However, a team is only as strong as it’s weakest link. Both Price and Moehrs agreed that practice makes perfect, which will knock out their weaker aspects of play such as cohesiveness on the field, learning each other’s individual movements and understanding how their personal mistakes affect the game in it’s entirety. 

While game plans and practice contribute to the overall success of the season, nothing can beat true dedication and passion for the sport. The players on the team had trouble trying to name their singluar favorite part of the sport.

Robinson said she does not have a favorite part of the game, but the unity it brings everyone who plays stands is what she cherishes the most about picking up the sport. 

“I love everything about this sport,” Robinson said. “Even though it’s a competitive sport, teams from all over can come together, because they share a love for their ultimate team. It’s an awesome thing to see.” 

As the girls ultimate frisbee season kicks off on Saturday in Alabama, the team would enjoy seeing fans there for their games.