Chew on This: ten places students should eat in Starkville before graduation

Oby’s 

For comfort food 

Oby’s offers a variety of Cajun-influenced foods at affordable prices. The sit-down restaurant serves a delicious potato soup with cheese and bacon. Oby’s also sells awesome gumbo, shrimp po-boys and chicken tenders, as well as an amazing bread pudding. 

Stromboli’s

For Italian food

Stromboli’s ravioli and signature cookie dough bites are some of the best things in the world. I don’t even like ravioli, but I love Stromboli’s. The cookie dough bites are similar to  beignets, Stromboli’s chefs cover cookie dough in pizza dough, and then fry them. The cookie dough bites are then covered in powdered sugar and served in a delicious chocolate dipping sauce.

The Camphouse

For steaks 

The Camphouse is one of the best places in Starkville to order hand-cut ribeye steaks. They are also known for their custom mac & cheese served in cast iron skillets. The Camphouse does well, in fact, at all things cheese–their queso dips are not to be ignored. 

Strange Brew

For coffee

Strange Brew sells great coffee with strange names. One of Strange Brew’s most popular items is the Albino Squirrel, which is a white chocolate and hazelnut flavored coffee available hot, frozen or iced. Strange Brew also has seasonal scones and muffins made fresh daily. The coffee shop is attached to a gas station, has a drive through and shares its building with an ice cream shop called Churn & Spoon, which serves a variety of homemade ice creams.

Petty’s BBQ

For BBQ

Petty’s BBQ has a delicious sauce, tender meat, crispy fried catfish and perfect coleslaw. Everything is prepared quickly and comes out steaming hot. Petty’s BBQ sells an array of barbecue products, from brisket to pulled pork plates. Most of their food is sold as plates or as cheaper single sandwiches.

Shipley’s

For doughnuts

Shipley’s has a variety of doughnuts from lemon-filled to apple fritter. In addition to donuts, Shipley’s sells a variety of other breakfast foods as well as homemade lemonade. Everything is made fresh daily and Shipley’s also sells their donuts at half price about an hour before they close. 

OEC

For Japanese food

OEC is fast food meets Asian cuisine. Their yum yum sauce is made in house and goes great on almost anything. Everything comes out hot and quickly. OEC serves a variety of Japanese dishes, from sushi to hibachi. Hibachi meals are served with fried rice, carrots, your choice of meat and fried vegetables.

La Terraza

For Mexican food

The prices at La Terraza are cheap, the portions are large and the restaurant is usually not crowded. The service is quick and the cheese dip is delicious. The portions are so large that, depending on how many chips and how much salsa one eats, it is possible to make a few leftover meals out of one order.

Margie’s Mixing Bowl

For baked goods

Margie’s Mixing Bowl is currently the only place in Starkville where you can buy macaroons. The macaroons are large and are very flavorful. Margie’s Mixing Bowl alternates flavors daily, so check their website for flavors of the day before you visit. Margie’s Mixing Bowl also sells cupcakes, cookies and even stuffed cupcakes.

Cook Out

For fast food

When it comes to finding food on a budget, Cook Out is the place to go. Cook Out has over 40 different flavors of milkshake, and is also the only place in Starkville to offer Cheerwine, a wonderful cherry soft drink. Cheerwine is available both by itself and in a float. Cook Out can get everyone fed for cheap offering a tray option for less than $5 consisting of a main dish, two side items and a drink.