Professor raises autism awareness

Jennifer McFadden | Graphics Editor
Professor raises autism awareness

While providing lectures to inquiring minds as an associate professor in the Department of Biological Sciences here on campus, Diana Outlaw has something more precious than any scientific discovery: her seven year old daughter, Ayra. 
Ayra has autism, along with numerous other health problems. After undergoing treatment at the Autism Developmental Treatment Center for the past two years, Ayra was diagnosed. 
For some families, this diagnosis would be devastating, but for the Outlaw family, it was more of a learning experience. 
Outlaw said she always considered herself an ambitious career person. However, as a result of Ayra’s diagnosis, she said that her and her family’s priorities have changed. 
Outlaw said she and her family had to readjust their expectations for how their lives would be, and this adjustment led to a vast growth in positivity for her. Outlaw said after Ayra was diagnosed, her family began to celebrate milestones more often. 
Outlaw said she had never had to deal with a disability before, and as a result, she was unprepared for her daughter’s autism diagnosis.  However, rather than letting it break her spirit, she said her daughter’s diagnosis humbled her, making Outlaw more kind, more compassionate and more accepting.
“Ayra is the most important thing in our lives,” Outlaw said. “It’s made me a better person.” 
Many people have preconceived notions about autism. Because of this, Outlaw said she emphasizes the importance of understanding how those with autism do not see the world the way we do, and how people need “patience and compassion for that.” 
 In many ways, Ayra is no different than any other seven year old. Outlaw said she attends Sudduth Elementary School in Starkville and often enjoys a nice lunch.  
When taking a break from her studies, Ayra also likes to ride horses and watch her favorite show, “Paw Patrol.” As a family, the Outlaws enjoy shopping together and doing arts and crafts. 
Outlaw enjoys bringing awareness to autism within the community alongside her friend and colleague, Jennifer Seltzer, a MSU research associate in the entomology department. 

Seltzer has an eight-year-old son, Rowan, who was diagnosed with autism when he was in the first grade. Because of this, Seltzer understands firsthand how this condition forces others to see the world the way those with autism do. She describes the experience of understanding a person with autism as understanding a different culture.
“You can’t assume, you shouldn’t judge, and you should always respond with open love and kindness,” Seltzer said.
Seltzer and Outlaw aim to provide insight to the general public on autism and its effects by capturing moments in time. Outlaw said Seltzer is working on a photography project,  “Through Their Eyes,” which she said is the most impactful.  
The photography project allows children with autism to take photos and ask family members without autism to take photos of the same event, to provide comparison on their different perspectives. 
Sponsored by the Starkville Area Arts Council, group leaders were able to purchase cameras and materials for the two art galleries. As of now, Outlaw said they are sifting through the photos and preparing for an exhibit at the Cullis Wade Depot Gallery this summer.