Congress must investigate Trump wiretapping scandal

The United States of America could soon unravel the largest conspiracy in history. Yes, that means that this could indeed “trump” the Watergate scandal that forced former President Richard Nixon to resign in 1974.

On Saturday morning, President Trump made startling, disturbing claims that former President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower in October 2016. The claim was that there was a server located in Trump tower that could have connections to a number of Russian banks and investors. 

This means that just six weeks before the general election, the F.B.I., Justice Department, C.I.A., and Department of Treasury pursued a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order to tap into the server located in Trump Tower. If this is not a political scandal, then there is no such thing as one.

Looking at the facts as we have them right now, the president’s claims are not false. It is a matter of how deep this can go. Who knew that this was taking place? And for how long?

Legally, a president cannot order a wiretapping, but various departments within the executive branch have the authority to seek a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) form and request permission from the courts to do exactly that. 

If there was a wiretap, that would mean that the Department of Justice convinced a federal judge they had significant evidence of a crime being committed. A Breitbart story from November confirmed that a FISA court judge had approved a warrant in October in connection to the server and Russian Banks. 

On June 27, 2016, there was a breaking news story headlining everywhere. Then, Attorney General Loretta Lynch and former President Bill Clinton made headlines for meeting at a Phoenix airport. Clinton reportedly entered Lynch’s government Air Force plane for what they claimed was a meeting regarding their grandchildren.

Let’s not forget that this meeting occurred while Lynch was the lead prosecutor in the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private server and while she was the lead prosecutor is this apparent investigation into the server at Trump tower. 

How can an attorney general of the United States be involved in both of those investigations and meet with the husband of the democratic nominee on board a private plane? This is a scandal.

I believe that President Trump made these claims after being informed of the investigation by his national security council. Trump is known to make outlandish claims, but I do not believe he would have done so about this matter unless he was presented with hard evidence or confirmation. 

However, I believe it is imperative that Congress investigate these claims because if the Obama administration engaged in any tactics that violated the rights of then-candidate Trump, that would be an abuse of executive power. I am not saying that Obama ordered these wiretaps, but I would argue that he knew more about it than he is willing to reveal. 

How can the President of the United States not know what is occurring within his own administration? Could it be that other personnel within the Obama administration were out to get Donald Trump? This is why I believe this story could be the political scandal of our lifetime. 

I believe that this could possibly unravel a plan by the Democratic National Convention to overthrow the Trump presidency and that perhaps democratic leaders in the House and Senate are taking place in these apparent cover ups of information that the American people deserve to know. 

How long was Trump Tower under investigation? Do we know for a fact that phone lines were not tapped? That is the major question. Who knew about this and for how long? Perhaps we will be able to find out.