New club aims to vault students into gymnastics

Mikhaila Selby | Courtesy Photo

Mikhaila Selby and Brie Bibel stand in front of balance beams at the Academy of Competitive and Performing Arts. Selby and Bibel are creating MSU’s first club gymnastic team incorporating their love for gymnastics with their love for Mississippi State.

In the South Eastern Conference, eight schools have collegiate level women’s gymnastics. Out of the six remaining schools, only two provide opportunities for students to participate in gymnastics. 
Mississippi State University, along with The University of Mississippi, The University of South Carolina and Vanderbilt University, does not have either a collegiate or club level gymnastics team.
MSU students Mikhaila Selby and Brie Bibel grew up in gymnastics and have a passion for the sport. 
Upon coming to MSU, they began working at the Academy of Competitive and Performing Arts in Starkville, teaching gymnastics to stay connected with the sport they loved. 
As Selby, senior from Greenville, Mississippi, was brainstorming ways to incorporate gymnastics into her Montgomery Leadership Program capstone project, she began to investigate bringing gymnastics to MSU.  
As she researched, Selby found teams across the U.S., discovering her idea was possible. What began as a joke after work is now on its way to becoming a MSU student organization and then a club team within competitive sports.
Becoming an organization on MSU’s campus is a tedious process and, “It was basically a lot of paperwork honestly,” Selby said. 
In order to become a Sports Club within the Competitive Sports office at MSU, students must first go through the Center for Student Activities and become a registered student organization.
After students have a registered student organization, they meet with the competitive sports office and provide their constitution, contact information of officers, and evidence of at least 10 members. 
While the process can be tedious with many meetings and paperwork, the faculty strives to help students as much as possible to make their activity a part of MSU’s campus. 
Getting the club started, however, has not been an easy task for Selby and Bibel. 
“Looking for people has been the hardest thing and we’re still working on that,” Bibel said. “We’ve got people, but it’s hard to make the hours work.”
With busy school schedules and being a new organization, it is difficult to find others who are passionate about gymnastics like Selby and Bibel. 
After a small response from reaching out to sororities, they are looking for new ways to inform students of the opportunity on campus. 
Even with a tough start, the gymnasts have big plans for the future. The National Association of Intercollegiate Gymnastics Clubs holds a national meet each year, and representatives are looking forward to welcoming a MSU club team.
While the association welcomes all levels of gymnastic skills from beginner to level nine, Selby and Bibel wish to not only regain past skills but improve and learn new skills.
“We want this to stay here for a long time,” Bibel said, “so we want to make a good impression.” 
Their connection with other club teams around the southeast has allowed them to get a better picture of how teams are run and make goals for the next year during their start-up process.  
With 11 people reaching out in interest, Selby and Bibel hope to establish a strong core team with leaders who will help carry the team when they graduate in 2018.  
“We really want a NCAA, SEC, Mississippi State gymnastics team eventually. That is our ultimate goal,” Selby said. “This is the first step for us to take to get one installed.” 
The team practices Mondays and Wednesdays from 7 to 10 p.m. at Academy of Competitive and Performing Arts on Miley Drive. If interested in joining, contact Selby at [email protected] or Bibel at [email protected].