Dog Dash 5K provides funds to give shelter to pets

Jenn McFadden | Graphic Design Editor

The Alpha Psi Veterinary Fraternity at Mississippi State University is hosting their annual Dog Dash 5K and Fun Run at 8:30-11:30 a.m. on April 2, located at The Wise Center.
The event combines a dog-friendly obstacle course and run. All proceeds will go to Safe Haven for Pets, a program which provides the necessary care for animals rescued from domestic abuse households. 
The philanthropy chair for Alpha Psi, Brittany Sovine, explains the far reaching threats of domestic abuse.
“Research shows that women won’t leave abusive situations if their pets are home because the spouse will injure the pet.” said Sovine, a second year MSU veterinarian student.
 Safe Haven for Pets was founded by MSU alumni and current clinical professor, Dr. Sharon Grace, in 1999. The program has since partnered with the Care Lodge, a domestic violence shelter in Meridian. 
Former Alpha Psi Secretary, Hannah Plaugher, said the women are relieved to know their pets are cared for.
“These women are very appreciative of all our help and care for their pets,” Plaugher said. “We provide full board, vaccines, and will treat any underlying medical issues as well.”
Alpha Psi as an organization aims to increase attendance from past runs in order to raise awareness for the cause and to get the community out with their pets.
Samantha Grunwald, a junior pre-vet student from Ocean Springs, Mississippi, smiled as she explained how her dogs loved to explore outside. Her Australian Shepard puppy, Echo, wagged her tail in delight upon hearing Purina was the main sponsor the fun run.
Registration information can be found at the Alpha Psi webpage. The 5K will cost $15 and the dog dash obstacle course will be $5. Alpha Psi did not disclose the prizes but their website promises fun for dogs and people alike. For more information, visit the Alpha Psi webpage and Facebook page.