Fall fashion mixes your oldies with some goodies

August is a time of change.
    Class is back in session, we are on the brink of football season and new fashion trends are abound.
    I’ve always thought that August is an awkward limbo time for fashion.
    Can I still wear summer colors? August is technically fall…
    Can I go ahead and wear fall colors? It still feels like summer outside…
    August presents us, the loyal fashion followers, with a unique fashion opportunity to combine our summer and fall wardrobes and create a fabulous repertoire of August-appropriate style.
    As I researched for this column, two words kept flashing in my mind – economic depression.
    How can I, your devout fashion advisor, tell you about fall trends that won’t break your fall budget?
    The trick is to maximize the wardrobe you already have by supplementing it with a few fun fall trends.
    My current fashion obsession is anything high-waisted. When done right, high-waisted outfits are slimming and classy.
    The great thing about this fashion classic is that it transcends seasons and is so easy to find.
    How can you hop on this trend bandwagon? You have a couple of options.
    Option number one: buy something new.
    Everyone is carrying high-waisted looks these days, in all different varieties.
    A common misconception with this trend is that high-waisted fashions are constricted to the world of dresses and skirts. Not so.
    You can achieve the same look by wearing a high-waisted pant. I’ve seen this done with both dress pants and jeans, both, when done tastefully, look great!
    Be adventurous and try tucking a solid shirt into a high-waisted pant – my favorite is the kinds with trendy metal buttons.
    I tend to favor classic fashions, so I like solid-colored pants with solid tops, but you can certainly experiment beyond that.
    If you’re looking to splurge, try a patterned dress or skirt. Skirts also look great with solid shirts tucked in.
    If you decide to wear a patterned skirt, I have one bit of advice: only choose one patterned piece.
    If your skirt is patterned, wear a solid shirt in a color that matches your skirt. This is a much cleaner, classier look.
    For funky patterns, Reeds on Main Street is the way to go. If you want to go with more of a vintage look, you should try Libby Story on Jackson Street.
    New dresses not in your budget?
    Don’t worry, they aren’t in mine either. Luckily, we have a second option: If you still want something new, try investing in a belt or cardigan.
    My recommendation for those of us watching our wallets is to stick with a versatile color – black, brown, tan or white.
    For belts, I like to stay under one inch in width, though there are some really cool vintage belts out there that are wider. For width, use your best judgment.
    Belts have been accessorizing our wardrobes for years. Their look and how we wear them is constantly changing.
    Yesterday, one of my friends wore a brown skirt with a solid tank tucked in. She put a thick, brown vintage belt over the top of the skirt, and it looked so trendy!
    This would be a fun trend for you to experiment with.
    For a new look, try replacing the sash on a patterned dress with a matching belt or wearing a belt over your cardigan.
    Cardigans can help you transition your summer dresses and skirts into fall favorites.
    Pair a cardigan and a belt with your favorite summer floral sundress for an instant fall classic.
    Give the shapeless dresses already in your closet new definition by wearing a belt over them.
    Try pairing summer colors with your favorite fall colors for more wardrobe options.
    Coral is a great color for summer, but you can transition it to fall by pairing it with brown boots, a brown cardigan and fall accessories.
    This is the key for getting the most bang for your buck this fall! Take what you already have and wear it a new way.
    Whether you’re buying something new or getting a new look from old clothes, high-waisted style is the way to go!
    My final three pieces of advice: be adventurous, be thrifty and look fabulous.