Mullen places major focus on kicking game

Coaches say there are three parts to a football game: offense, defense and special teams. The last has been a glaring problem for Mississippi State over the last few years as the Bulldogs have had more than their fair share of close losses due to poor special teams play. Luckily, the new special teams coach comes highly regarded. His name is Dan Mullen.
    “I knew that’s what you have to do. You look at the most successful programs; the head coach coaches the special teams,” Mullen said in a Clarion-Ledger article. “Everywhere I’ve been and what I’ve seen, the head coach being involved in the special teams is a critical thing if you want to be good. That part of it is just how I was brought up. I wouldn’t know any other way to do it.”
    Kicker Sean Brauchle and punter Heath Hutchins, both junior college transfers, will be the centerpieces of Mullen’s revamped special teams.
    Brauchle was a two-time All-American at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College where he holds the record for longest field goal made — 55 yards. Mullen runs a tight ship on special teams, punishing them for every misstep or mistake, but Brauchle said he thinks it is the right approach.
    “He makes sure he’s right there in our ear constantly, every kick.” Brauchle said. “He brings a different air to kicking than someone else would. He gives us directions on how to go out there and critique every bit of our kick, every motion.”
    Of past kicking woes, Brauchle said mistakes are usually mental.
    “I go out there with a clear mind, just as focused as I can be,” Brauchle said. “You’ve got to have the mental focus. I’m ready for this coming up weekend to prove myself.”
    Hutchins was named first-team All-American during his sophomore season at Itawamba Community College, where he averaged 46.1 yards per punt with a season-long of 69 yards. Hutchins said he also believes Mullen is a tough special teams coach.
    “He’s going to be on your case more than anybody else,” Hutchins said. “[Mullen] says it’s because he’s the special teams coach. Our punishment is extreme. He holds us to a really high level.”
    The day Hutchins arrived on campus, he said Mullen laid out his expectations for the punter.
    “When I first got here, Coach Mullen said he wants a 40-45 yard punt with no return, hang it high,” he said.
    That is a high standard for any punter, but Hutchins said he has even loftier hopes for himself.
    “I’m going to try and go the entire season without any return yards,” Hutchins said. “We want every ball fair caught. We want to lead at least the SEC in return yards and I figure why just say the SEC? If you’re going to set a goal, you might as well set it all the way. We want to lead the nation. We’ll lead the SEC, but we’ll go for it all.”
    It would not be the first time for Hutchins, whose 46.1 yard average last year was the best in the nation for junior college.
    Mullen has been adamant about getting the best players on the field for special teams. He said he believes it is one of the most important parts of every game and he wants the most talented players on the field for it, but only those who are willing to push themselves as hard as possible on every play.
    The only question left: Can elevated special teams play make the difference for the Bulldogs?
    “Oh yeah,” Hutchins said. “Last year we really didn’t have that. It seems like every time we needed something it really didn’t go through. You have to have that, and I think if me and Sean can bring what we had in JUCO, it should really turn it around. This year I think we’ll have a higher standard for special teams.”