No such thing as moral victories

Gut check: Mississippi State completed a decade long losing streak to the Tigers Saturday, falling by an average of 29 points the previous nine contests. The Bulldogs literally came up inches short of beating a top-10 opponent for the first time since defeating No. 3 ranked Florida in 2000. State slipped to 2-2 on the season after squandering a potential program igniter – and the competition gets fiercer with five ranked teams looming on the schedule.
    However, for a program that has been reeling for a decade, it is difficult to ignore the grand-scheme silver lining. Mississippi State dominated play Saturday against the No. 7 team in the country. Facing a LSU program that prides itself with a power football image, the stats don’t lie.
    MSU held the ball 7:52 longer than LSU. State outgained the Tigers 374 yards to 263 while racking up 21 first downs to LSU’s 12. The most impressive stat: The Bulldog front seven allowed a suffocating 30 yards rushing. State even cut back on penalties – a recent Achilles heel – getting flagged only twice for 10 yards.
    Not to be overlooked, MSU compiled these numbers while battling four first-half turnovers.
    In recent years past, LSU’s interception return for a touchdown – which took place after State’s first offensive play – probably would have broken the Bulldog’s back, forcing fans to witness a defeated team gimp around for nearly 40 minutes. However, this 2009 squad forced its will and immediately responded by marching the ball 66 yards down field in nine plays to capture the lead after Anthony Dixon soared into the end zone with his patented swan dive.
    Honestly, I was stunned.
    After witnessing MSU fight and claw Saturday, responding to nearly every LSU score, it’s easy to say State played with heart. But I saw more. I saw a team that hit harder and swarmed to the ball with more intensity than its opponent. Sure, LSU has superior talent, hosting a slew of players like safety Chad Jones who returned the infamous punt Saturday and who was drafted by the Astros coming out of high school, but the tired talent-gap argument just wasn’t obvious. State blew LSU off the ball, plain and simple.
    So is playing calling to blame for the loss? No.
    Dan Mullen finally began to open up the play book, allowing play makers like tight end Marcus Green – who hauled in 5 catches for 100 yards and a touchdown – to reveal themselves against top competition. Although MSU’s spread still had a prototype feel, it produced, outscoring the Tiger’s offense 26 -17. Also, MSU’s play calling was more balanced (40 pass attempts to 46 rush attempts), a reflection of what Mullen has often called his ideal offensive scheme, which is to split rushing and passing down the middle.
    Now, let’s address the goal line stand.
    Dixon got MSU to within centimeters of the goal line after carrying the ball twice during State’s final four downs. It’s easy to say, ‘Hey, you gotta hitch the mule to the wagon. We shoulda gave him the rock two more times.'”
    But in reality, State’s final two plays were set up for success. On third down, LSU bit on the play action and crashed the middle, leaving Marcus Greene standing alone on an island. Tyson Lee didn’t put touch on the pass and Chad Jones was there to suck the wind out of State again. On fourth down, Lee tucked on the option and pursued a seam that wasn’t there. He should have pitched to Dixon, who would have scampered to victory.
    The calls fit the situation. To win in the SEC, risks must be taken. MSU fans get pissed when the Bulldog’s run it up the middle with Dixon every time and even more pissed when they don’t.
    Regardless, this loss is far more promising than depressing. Unless of course the Tigers reveal themselves to be totally overrated, unworthy of a No. 4 ranking and get hammered by Alabama, Ole Miss and Auburn – which wouldn’t at all be surprising.
    Justin Ammon is the sports editor of
    The Reflector. He can be reached at
    [email protected].